Valve adjustment tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve adjustment tools

When I got the bike it had 17K and it now has 32K and it's about time I did a valve adjustment. The bike mechanics I would take my bike to want quite a bit of money for their work so I've decided to take on the job myself. Not having the specialized tools nor an assortment of shims to play with has kept me from doing this overdue job until now . . . that and the fact the bike continues to start and run like the day it was new. 15K miles without a valve adjustment could be considered Suzuki abuse but it hasn't been complaining.

Looking through the threads I've come up with the names Z1, Bike Bandit and Partsoutlaw.com as sources for gaskets & perhaps tools but I'm finding their websites totally useless for finding anything. Maybe it's because I've got an old bike . . . dunno. My experience in looking in the last couple hours is that their websites are hopeless. I'll use eBay and the Suzuki dealer for my parts.

Speaking of eBay, would someone look at the below item and tell me if these tools will work?

eBay item number: 331358968522

I know what the bucket depressor tool is (why are there two of them? one size for intake and another size for exhaust?) but what are the rest of those things? I'd appreciate any comments from anyone regarding the "mystery tools" in that assortment.

Will I actually need the cam end half-moon caps? Do I need the breather gasket or can I re-use the old one if it's not damaged when I take the cover off? I guess I should presume I'll need everything and just order them.

Anything else I should have on hand before I start taking things apart?

As it stands I think I'll need the following:

Valve cover gasket
    Cam end half-moons
    Breather gasket

If BassCliff or someone has done a video on valve adjustment on the 850, 1000 or 1100 please someone post a link. The couple I found (not by BassCliff) on YouTube weren't useful except for getting a headache from the cameras bouncing around. I'm sure I need to do some more looking on this site and will do so before I start the job but in the meantime if anybody wants to do some pointing and some commenting I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Mike in San Diego
    1982 GS850G daily driver
    1979 GS850G (under a tarp in the backyard with a blown head gasket - 72K miles

Yeah, valve adjustment is overdue- this thing won't telegraph you,it will just roast the exhaust valves. Basscliff covers this subject well- not sure why you find it confusing. The tool you need is this

Need cam cover gasket, breather gasket and likely those half moons (though I didn't). You'll have to measure things to find out what (if any) new shims you need. Member ghostgs1 runs a shim swapping club.

change your font size,
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Tools required:

10mm socket and 1/4" drive ratchet
      some sort of scraper to remove the old gasket - be careful not to gouge the engine
      The bucket depressor tool - http://www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDet...item=MP08-0017 from Z1 Enterprises
      Shims - from the GS Resources Shim Club found under the Services tab here; find out what you currently have first , determine what you need, and then order them from Ghostgs (he runs the shim club).
      Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet from Steve (Username and real name); email him to get the spreadsheet that will help you track this information.
      Procedures on Basscliff's site - http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...lve_adjust.pdf

Not necessary but useful to prevent leaks - a small amount of Hondabond or Yamahabond (found at your local motorcycle shop) to coat the underside of the half moons and prevent leaks from them; you don't need it anywhere else as the gasket can go on dry (some spray it with wd40 to help with future removal)
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I'm not sure, but does an 82 still have shims? If you are working on the 79, disregard this. I know the 80 up 550's are no longer shim and an 81 750 has no shims as well.

I guess I'm asking for an 850 expert on this.

Comment

Originally posted by 78550GS View Post
          I'm not sure, but does an 82 still have shims? If you are working on the 79, disregard this. I know the 80 up 550's are no longer shim and an 81 750 has no shims as well.
          Yes, an '82 850 still has shims, as do all the 8-valve engines, up through '84.

The '80 through '82 550s still have shims, they still had 8 valves. The '83 550 went to 16 valves and threaded adjusters.

The 750s and 1100s went to 16 valves and threaded adjusters in '80.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Yes, an '82 850 still has shims, as do all the 8-valve engines, up through '84.

The '80 through '82 550s still have shims, they still had 8 valves. The '83 550 went to 16 valves and threaded adjusters.

The 750s and 1100s went to 16 valves and threaded adjusters in '80.

Thank you for straightening me out then. too early for me.

Comment

> "The 750s and 1100s went to 16 valves and threaded adjusters in '80."

I'll remember that when it comes time to buy another GS. This shim stuff is a hassle. Toyota V-6 truck engines early 90's era used shims & buckets too - really a pain.

Very comprehensive information everyone, thank you very much for taking the time.

The tool at the eBay link is advertised as a Suzuki tool but mentions in the data below that it's "equivalent to the OEM tool." Suzuki IS the OEM tool so what's going on there? Good price for the right item but just to satisfy my curiosity would someone look at the eBay item I asked about and tell me what's going on with all those "extra" tools in the set? There's two sizes of bucket retainer tools plus some other things. Anybody know if they'd be useful somehow? Same amount of money involved but you get more stuff. Just wondering if any of it would be useful and what those things are for.

Item number is

I'll post the eBay link at the bottom and didn't post it earlier since it's so long I figured it would get broken in transit.

I did and do have the BassCliff how-to on valve adjustment on the 850.

Thanks for the tip on the Hondabond. I already have something I use on engines that is probably the same but I've ordered the Hondabond anyway. Couldn't find Yamahabond
              . I'll skip ordering the half moons and just use some of the Hondabond on the old half moons. If that's a bad decision then time will tell.

Also much gracias for the info that GhostGS has a shim exchange. Great resource, as is everything else on this site.

I'll request the valve adjustment spreadsheet from Steve but don't really understand at this point what value a spreadsheet would be or even what it is in this instance. Guess I'll find out.

Thanks all,

Mike

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331358968522...522%26_rdc%3D1

Last edited by Guest; 11-21-2014, 07:50 PM.

Comment

PM sent. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Comment

Some of us don't bother with special tools and use the "zip-tie method" that is outlined on BassCliff's site.

Never have gotten the knack of finagling that tool, and prefer to not have shims get shattered if (when) the tool slips (AGAIN).

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Some of us don't bother with special tools and use the "zip-tie method" that is outlined on BassCliff's site.

Same here and I think the zip-tie method would be easier for first timer (once you grasp what the zip tie is doing)
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I have heard comments from some of the nay-sayers that "there is so much crank turning involved to use the zip-tie", but personally, if it will avoid another episode of this, it would be worth it.

That shim is from my Kawasaki, but "the tool" slipped off the edge of the bucket while the shim was resting on the edge, not quite in place. When the valve spring was released, it slammed the valve closed, shattering the shim. I spent about half an hour with a magnet, fishing through the oil, looking for pieces, then almost another half hour assembling them. I was confident enough that the one missing piece was not going to hurt anything, so I finally turned the crank and continued with the adjustment.

For those that need a picture, here is how the zip-tie works:

Rotate the cam so the valve is fully opened, insert the zip-tie. Rotate the cam so the lobe is away from the valve, remove the shim. Reverse the process to install the shim, proceed to the next valve.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS View Post
                        >
                        Thanks for the tip on the Hondabond. I already have something I use on engines that is probably the same but I've ordered the Hondabond anyway. Couldn't find Yamahabond
                        . I'll skip ordering the half moons
                        I'll request the valve adjustment spreadsheet from Steve but don't really understand at this point what value a spreadsheet would be or even what it is in this instance. Guess I'll find out.

Thanks all,

Mike

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331358968522...522%26_rdc%3D1

If the half moons are even slightly torn if recommend replacing them especially knowing they're cheap. Steve's spreadsheet is good for tracking purposes
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I ordered everything I will need except shims. I got the depressor tool that was linked earlier. It says Suzuki on it so if not actually Suzuki at least it's closer to the right tool than the crap I was looking at. I ordered new cam seals from the same company.
                          I like the zip-tie method. I read BassCliff's piece on adjusting the valves on the GS850 and I didn't see anything about zipties though. I think he must have another article on the subject which I'll find as I go along.

I got the OEM Suzuki valve cover gasket from a local parts place for $22 with free shipping. Got the breather from Pennsylvania, also OEM Suzuki - two of them in the package for 8.99 with free shipping. Hondabond HT was $12 with free shipping. I got it all on eBay. No running around and pricing about as good as it gets.

All I'll need now are for everything to get here, some shims, and some warm weather. It drops down into the 50's around here at night and takes half the next day to warm up enough to go outside. As the days get shorter it's not getting any better around here temperature wise. It even rained for a few minutes a couple days ago. We're somehow getting some of that lake effect like in Buffalo. But I will manage somehow and meanwhile am treating the engine very gently.

Mike
                          1982 GS850G
                          1979 GS850G parts bike

Comment

I like the zip-tie method. I read BassCliff's piece on adjusting the valves on the GS850 and I didn't see anything about zipties though. I think he must have another article on the subject which I'll find as I go along.
                            If you saw the adjustment tutorial on his website, the zip-tie tutorial is right below it.

All I'll need now are for everything to get here, some shims, and some warm weather. It drops down into the 50's around here at night and takes half the next day to warm up enough to go outside.
                            You, sir, have a very sick mind.

When it gets UP into the 50s, it's motorcyle riding weather.

I am so sorry you feel that the 50s are so unbearable.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

If you saw the adjustment tutorial on his website, the zip-tie tutorial is right below it.

You, sir, have a very sick mind.

When it gets UP into the 50s, it's motorcyle riding weather.

I am so sorry you feel that the 50s are so unbearable.

Road the 850 to work a couple of days ago. Outside temp was right at 38F. I would have loved temps in the 50's. A good jacket, gloves and a balaclava makes things quite bearable. The engine seems to keep my legs warm.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                              X