engine replacement for 1982 GS650GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

60ratrod, the spark is blue, but small.

And what do you mean by a full strip and dip? Strip and dip the carbs?

-Will

Comment

Originally posted by William Groebe View Post
      60ratrod, the spark is blue, but small.

And what do you mean by a full strip and dip? Strip and dip the carbs?

-Will
      The full Monty carb clean - see this link

While this thing is running sorta OK, do a Quick Test on charging system- see this link...

Your electrical system and connections might need attention causing a "small" spark. But I recall my bike's spark ain't what I would call big, but system starts fine.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Basically a full tear down and cleaning on the carbs by dipping them in everyone's favorite barryman's and usually replacing all of the o-rings.

Blue is a good color, do you get an audible pop every time a plug fires off? A nice audible pop is a good indication you have good spark. Good spark is key to a great running bike

Comment

Bike is running. It starts up every time without fail and without the need for starter fluid. Seems like the bike just needed to be shocked out of its comatose state, but now she's fully awake. I've taken it out a few times just around the block. When I posted earlier that I needed to adjust the idle screw I meant the throttle cable connection to the carbs. It got loosened up a bit and I haven't found the sweet spot yet.

After riding around for a bit I noticed a light tapping sound coming from the head on the front right. I'll check my valve clearances again this week and do any necessary shim replacement. Hopefully that will be it, and I can call this job finished.

Comment

While you are checking valves, make sure tach drive is secure in cover.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
            X