Final Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final Drive

I have an 82 gs650. I was cruising around my old stomping ground (in first gear) and shifted from 1st to 2nd and there was nothing. The motor was still running but the bike was going nowhere. I coasted down to a parking lot (in neutral) and turned it off. I check to see is i lost any oil and it was dry. I had been riding for about a half hour with no problems. I put the bike on the center stand and started it again. I put it in first gear and slowly let the clutch out and there was a weird noise coming from the rear and the bike would not move. If you put your hand on the final drive you can feel something moving when the clutch is released and it is in gear. I ran threw all of the gears and the noise changes with each gear. Any Ideas? Thanks!

Pull back the boot at the front of the swingarm and see if the u-joint is turning. If the final drive gears had stripped it would have made a horrific noise and would have jerked a lot before it stopped. The transfer gears for the driveshaft on the output side of the transmission could fail also, but it would have been noisey also. The output shaft for the transfer gears are known for snapping off where the u-joint yoke bolts on. The nut could have snapped off and the u-joint splines fail. All of which are very bad news.

Comment

The '82s were known to have a weaker spline material, and few of these machines have been properly cared for, so they are likely trashed. The good news is that splines are relatively easy to change and likely did not cause any other damage.

You can pull the boot as jagdriver suggested, but you can also simply squeeze the boot to feel if the u-joint is turning. This will save the aggravation of getting the boot back on.

To change the splines, remove the rear wheel. On the drive side of the hub, remove the six bolts that hold the three keepers in place, slide the splines out. To install new splines, simply reverse these steps.

When you install your new splines, be sure to coat them with a modest coat of Moly grease. One of the best ones that is readily available is Honda Moly 60. Don't use any "moly" lube you are likely to find at Auto Zone, a grease only has to have 3 or 4% molybdenum disulfide to qualify as a "moly" lube. Honda Moly 60 has ... you ready for it? ... 60% moly in it, which is better for the splines.

Put a post in the "parts wanted" forum, I am sure somebody has an extra set. If not, go ahead and hit eBay, but try to limit your selection to black or silver splines, the gold ones are the weak ones from '82.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You likely need this! Do you feel lucky? My spline looked fine last spring

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          You likely need this! Do you feel lucky? My spline looked fine last spring

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161025879773...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
          No, that is not what you need. What you're describing is a classic case of warn out wheel splines. You'll need the splines on the wheel side, not the final drive side. Those are the ones that wear. The final drives almost never wear out.

Looks like this:

Mounts like this:

Pull the wheel as Steve suggested and observe the splines that mesh with the finial drive. Don't depend on what you initially see on the surface. The wear patter is a little deeper into the wheel hub and leaves the splines visible on the outside but they're gone in the middle where they mesh with the final drive.

Common part used on GS650G, GS850G, GS1000G and GS1100G as current part number: 64680-45113. Look for one from an 80 model and you'll never have to replace it again. The earlier stronger version is black in color. Yours is gold. Later models were silver. Gold was the worst of the bunch. Sometimes it's easier to purchase an entire rear wheel if the shipping good. Maybe get the seller to remove it and only ship what you need. There's one on ebay right now from a 1980 GS1000G:

Replace the splines and use a high moly lubricant when you reinstall.
          Last edited by JTGS850GL; 03-10-2015, 01:19 PM.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

That is a GREAT price on that final drive unit (and free shipping, to boot), but the splines you need are in the wheel:

This picture is from that eBay wheel. You can tell it's an '80 wheel, the splines are black.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Boy, you guys are nitpickers! Here you go...

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Not to be picking nits again, but that wheel has the dreaded gold splined drive unit. The one I posted is the older and more desirable black spline. I would never trust a used gold drive unit. Any of the driveshaft model GS's will fit but the older black units are the best. Does not have to be from a GS650G/GL.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Well, if you are sure you ain't just looking at rust colored spline..... Other parts all say 81 but who knows...
                  1981 gs650L

Comment

Tom, I am going to have to agree with JT on this one.

Not only does it have the gold spline, it's not an '81 wheel.
                    They changed the spoke pattern for '82, that wheel has the new pattern.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Well ,what color is this spline on 83 wheel ?

1981 gs650L

Comment

I believe that, that is the next generation silver. Better then the gold but still not as durable as the original black.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

A lot of times you can get a whole wheel with splines as cheaply as just the splines separately. If an ebay search for splines doesn't yield much search for rear wheels.
                          1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                          1983 GS 1100 G
                          2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                          2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                          1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                            I believe that, that is the next generation silver. Better then the gold but still not as durable as the original black.
                            good info here- thanks. Last fall a local guy had 80 or 81 rear wheel/disc off gs1000 for $40. I was looking for compatible disc and never thought about the spline stuff.
                            1981 gs650L

Comment

Absolutely stay away from 82 splines. I caught mine before it went, but there wasn't much left. I have a black one now from another member. It came from an 80 model. Shows no wear.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                              1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Working...
                              X