Having problems putting my jug back on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having problems putting my jug back on

Is it better to have the motor out to put the jug back on? My hands are rather large and I'm having trouble because there is not much room to work? 83 GS750e

You mean the cylinders won't fit over the studs under the frame spine? I'm having trouble picturing how your hands could be a problem lining them up and dropping them down. Getting the pistons lined up and started up the bores? That does suck. But not as much as hos'ing that whole heavy assed motor into the frame and trying to get the mounts lined up.

Good luck, remember take breaks, drink (not too much) beer, makes it better/more tolerable.

Comment

You'd be better off with the motor out of the frame. Especially if you're working solo.

The only time I did one in the frame was when I re-ringed my brothers KZ1300. It was a 2 person job but there was no way we were going to attempt to take THAT motor out of the chassis....
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

yes, it does suck, thats for sure but so does breaking rings. I think maybe the ring compressors I'm using are not ideal. I think I'm going to pull the motor, four more bolts and its out

Comment

Out is easy. In... that is #@$@#Q$!@#$!@#@%!@#%#%#%!@%^^@#%#$@#$!@#!@#!@

Comment

Originally posted by JamesWhut? View Post
            Out is easy. In... that is #@$@#Q$!@#$!@#@%!@#%#%#%!@%^^@#%#$@#$!@#!@#!@
            Engine on it's side, lift frame over engine, bolt it in, lift bike back up.

Easiest way by many furlongs.
            Current:
            Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
            VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)

Comment

I believe it has been suggested here to use popsicle sticks to work there rings into the bores. Start with the middle two pistons in the up position.
              Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
              2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

I dont think its going to be that hard to put the motor back in. I won't put the head on just the jug. looks like I can set the motor back in the frame and use my floor jack to lift it up. after all Ive been through, this seems the easiest way. I do have my brother to help me set it in and line it up.

Comment

You'd be best off putting the head on the motor while it's still out of the frame. It can be hard getting a torque wrench onto the middle studs with the frame in the way.

It won't be much heavier - especially if you have 2 people to help (still think the frame over the engine is the easiest).
                  Current:

Past:

Comment

A little history so you can see why I'm so adement about pulling the motor. I'm putting in a 816 kit I got off the bay for $50 (just pistons, no rings) little did I know that this kit was the old XT version and you cant hardly get these rings anymore. I found rings for one piston out of Florida but that doesn't help me much, so I sent a piston to Deves and he made me a custom set. First time I tried putting the jug on I tried without ring compressors and used the popsicle method slipped and broke a scraper ring. embarresed I had to call Frank back and ask him to send me another. So I got some ring compressors, waited another week for my ring to come in. Got the ring today (he sent me two!) and gave it another go. Struggling hard I finally got 2&3 in just to find out that my bottom oil ring had slipped out of the groove and now is all messed up!!! So I have to call tomorrow and get another. I did check my ring gaps and put the pistons, rings installed, in the jug to make sure they would go, on the bench they went in perfect. Anyways, as you can probably tell I am frustrated and embarresed I sure do appricate everyones help. After all that being said, dont ya'll (yes, I'm from Texas) think I should pull the motor so I can have better access? its hard bending my fingers around those studs Thanks for your help, Helmut

Comment

Thanks hillsy for your advice. I may try your method if it doesn't seem to be going very well (It doesn't seem to be going very well) and you think I should go ahead and put the head on first?

Comment

Try using hose clamps as ring compressors... worked the bee's knee's for me....
                        -Mark
                        Boston, MA
                        Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                        sigpic
                        1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Are you using ring compressors? If so what kind? Does the bike have a big bore kit installed and if so, did the guy that bored the cylinder add a bevel on the bottom of the liners? Do you have a way to lift the bike up so you don't have to stoop over to see what's going on?

Pulling the engine will allow you to get everything up to eye level so you can see what's going on, but other than that it's no help with the process, and may even be a hindrance because the engine will roll around on the bench.

One helpful thing to do is make some rod holder tools using notched 2X4's. One holding the 1 & 4 rod really helps hold the pistons steady while you are trying to get the pistons inside.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

i just did a re-ring/hone job on 82 gs 850 by myself.used the notched 2x4 method and fingers to work the rings in.i found using needlenose vise grips on each end stud to support jug was a big help.by the way,i did the install twice,,,,had all 4 pistons in jug only to proudly look up and see the cylinder sleeve o ring seals still laying on bench.dont make that mistake.a few choice words later did succeed in getting all 4 pistons in again.good luck on your rebuild.

Comment

I got my bike put back together last night! Road it around the block a few times today. I'm all smiles. Thanks everyone for your advice, I pulled from all of it!
                              Last edited by Guest; 04-09-2015, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X