Stuck in neutral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck in neutral

Just installed an 83 gs750e motor in my 82 750t. Motor had very low miles but after install I could not shift out of neutral. Removed clutch cover, clutch, and gear. All springs look good. Only moves the shift drum a small amount. Any suggestions before I remove it and split the case.

My friend had an 83 ES, where it somehow broke the detent spring on the shift drum. I might have the terminology wrong, but it was $3 part accessible from the oil pan, hooks to the case webbing and shift drum cam.

Basically a spring with a straight section and a hook on each side. #18 on a parts diagram for "gear shifting"
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Hope this isn't a silly question but when you were trying to shift, was the engine running or were you moving the wheel?

Did it shift before you installed it?
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Will remove the pan tonight and see what I can with it off. Tried it running and tried moving the wheel. It wouldn't shift on the bench before install but the person I got it from said it shifted before removal. I never saw it shift.

Comment

Removed the pan and found the plunger that sits in the shift drum to hold it in the neutral position was stuck in its bore. After working it back and forth was able to remove it and clean out the bore. Now it shifts good. Thanks for all the input. Hope to have it on the road tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
          X