Cannot stop oil leak from bolt in valve cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot stop oil leak from bolt in valve cover

So after much research I finally found a thread that pointed to the exact place I'm having a constant oil leak which shows the area in the below picture. Well I replaced the O-ring (#14), painted the engine and after 5 mins of running it's leaking again!! It's clearly coming from the back section where the bolt screws down so what else could be wrong with that bolt that could cause the oil leak. I don't understand that other threads say #17 needs replaced, but I replaced #14 that wraps around the nut, is there another o-ring that I'm missing?

**edit** I opened it back up and took the nut off and it looks clean and down inside also looks clean? Could I put any gasket sealer on the bottom side? I'm grasping for straws because there's no doubt it's the source of the leak.

Last edited by Guest; 04-30-2015, 12:04 AM.

Looking at parts fiche, it seems that the #14 is an assembly with an o-ring on board : #17 seems to be a seperate o-ring . I'm can't tell where/how this seals from the pic.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Ok, that's what I thought. I pulled the other nut that's not leaking and it looks exactly the same and both are clean down in the cavity. The leak is coming from that area and from what it looks like only the o-ring keeps the oil from going down around the nut. Am I missing anything?

Comment

Working...
      X