Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch broken, fluid everywhere

1978 GS 750,

I know nothing about the assembly of the clutch or possible issues it may be. Of course, there is no way to tell what the problem is until I pull it apart, but can someone please guide me in diagnosing the process, or with the fluid leaking this bad (in picture) what the causes and fixes may be. Also, some tips on tear down would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Attached Files

Furthermore, to be a little bit more clear, it is leaking around the chain by the clutch cable cover. Thus, it is left side of the bike.

Comment

Pull the counter-sprocket cover and take a look, might not be the clutch at all but the counter-shaft seal. You can find a manual at Basscliff's web site.

V
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Thanks, gustovh. I not too sure what the counter sprocket cover is, but I will take of those covers off on that side and see where that gets me.
        Also, The lever has no pressure, but If its not clutch fluid, where do you think the fluid is coming from?

Comment

Originally posted by CUEagle17 View Post
          Thanks, gustovh. I not too sure what the counter sprocket cover is, but I will take of those covers off on that side and see where that gets me.
          Also, The lever has no pressure, but If its not clutch fluid, where do you think the fluid is coming from?
          There is no clutch fluid on your bike. just engine oil. You either have seal that went bad or a crack in there somewhere.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

No clutch fluid? But there is exhaust fluid.
            NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
            Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

coud be your gear position switch seal too
              maybe

Comment

I was a little fluster that when it happened. I remember now, a little more, the Chain did pop off and I had to reset it.

Comment

you bent the clutch push rod and maybe damaged the pusher seal.
                  the worm gear also may have backed off.
                  get to work!

Comment

I think when he's saying counter-sprocket he's talking about the front sprocket. There's a seal underneath it. Remove the sprocket cover on that side of the motor and see if that's where your oil is coming from. The bolts are of varying length so keep track of where they came from.

There's a clutch release rod that also is under that same cover. When you pull the clutch cable it rotates a ramp that pushes on that rod. Sometimes chains will break and damage the rod, which bends it. Can also cause a nasty oil leak as the bent rod will damage the seal.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                      you bent the clutch push rod and maybe damaged the pusher seal.
                      the worm gear also may have backed off.
                      get to work!
                      What he said ^^

Keep your chain tight.

Comment

I took off that clutch cable cover and realized it was completely cracked and deemed unusable and I will need to get another one.

Aside from that, I attached a picture of the bent rod and what I think it is the center of the seal? Is that round piece I am holding the center of that seal?

How do I go about changing that push rod?

I know these are a lot of questions, but also, how does this clutch work? i feel like I am mission pieces.

Thank you

Attached Files

Comment

Do you have the service manual for your bike? If not, download it from Basscliff's website - http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff

You'll need to remove the clutch cover from the opposite side of the bike (where you fill the oil). I believe I have some read other threads on replacing the pushrod so you will want to search on the site for it.

Here's a link to the parts fiche so you know what to look for once you get the clutch cover off (push rod is on the sprocket side and the rest of it is on the clutch side)

Shop our large selection of Suzuki OEM parts, original equipment manufacturer parts and more online or call at 386-740-2452
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Looking at the parts fiche can be a big help in grokking the workings of this mechanism. But basically the clutch cable pulls that arm (#7) and the whole internal mechanism extends inward and pushes the clutch rod, which disengages the clutch:

I believe you'll need at least parts 1, 3, and 15 (I think #15's what you have in your hand). Fortunately they all still seem to be available new. Cover can be found used on eBay or parts wanted forum most likely. Someone else can chime in as although the GS550 has a similar mechanism I don't know (and honestly it's been so long that I can't remember) but I thought the clutch push rod had to be replaced from the right side - after straightening it out or cutting off the bent part, of course. I think the GS550's push rod is "fatter" at the clutch side so only goes out that way, but the fiche pic doesn't really reflect that. If so of course you'll need a gasket for that. Might as well budget for some new clutch springs while you're in there. They're cheap and your old ones might be kinda tired.

Your sprocket doesn't look that bad but if your chain is stretching that much to where it's falling off and damaging stuff it's probably time for a new set of both sprockets and chain.

Comment

Thanks very much Mike, that was very informative and needed. I am very short on time at the moment and hope to get to some of these things over the next month or so. I will be purchasing parts and keep the progress updated. Before I buy too much I am hoping to take it all apart and make sure the clutch itself is not damaged. Very glad to see parts in stock!

Comment

Working...
                              X