Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I split the cases with the stator magnet in place?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I split the cases with the stator magnet in place?

The manual says that the stator magnet (flywheel, whatever you wanna call it...) needs to come off to split the cases. Only thing is, I already have all the rest of the engine apart up to the point of nothing holding the cases together. There's no way for me to tighten a bolt in there with the crankshaft spinning freely.

Can I split the cases with the magnet in place, or would I damage something trying to do so?
    sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

If you're absolutely sure there's no reason to remove the rotor, and there's no brackets or anything behind it that might hold the cases together, then it's fine to split the cases without removing it from the crank shaft.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

It can stay on
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
        If there's no brackets or anything behind it that might hold the cases together
        This is basically the question I'm asking... I've never been this deep in the engine before, so I'm not sure what's behind it. The parts fiche is unclear, and so is the manual. Google searches and GSR searches don't turn up much either. It doesn't want to come apart too easily, and I can't tell if it's just because it needs a little persuasion because of some crusty studs, or if there's something behind there holding it together...

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        It can stay on
        Thanks, I'll take another crack at it. The top end is easy, but this is almost voodoo to me at this point... I'm just trying not to screw anything up.
        sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Comment

If you're having a hard time separating the cases, I know that at least some of the GS engines have spots in the front and/or rear of the case where you can insert a bolt and nut, and then turn the bolt to pry the cases apart. Be careful not to damage the mating surfaces by trying to wedge something metal in between them.
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Find out where the dowels are and use a little heat there. Use a rubber mallet and concentrate on these areas.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Took off the oil pan and removed the bolts inside too??? How about the one in the front right in line with the cam chain tunnel??? And the ones inside the starter well????
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Victory!

upper case open by samL9, on Flickr

I had all the bolts, even the hidden ones in the oil pan and under the starter... It still wasn't coming apart though. I was being really gentle because I wasn't sure if there was a bracket or something behind the magnet and I didn't want to warp or crack the cases. Chef gave me the reassurance to apply a little more pressure.

It would separate a little bit then come back together, so I knew something was still holding it together and I traced it down to this bracket hiding under a whole lot of grease and grime under where the sprocket cover bolts on.
                case bracket (last one) by samL9, on Flickr

This was about the 50th time I wish I would have cleaned the engine up before I took it off the frame...I couldn't even see this guy. Oh well, live and learn.

Thank you guys for all your help and suggestions

On to the next part of the project.
                Feel free to check out my rebuild thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...GS-750-Rebuild
                Last edited by Sam 78 GS750; 12-24-2017, 08:08 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

Nice job! Quick question for you if you don't mind. You know all the screws behind the clutch? Did you have a hard time getting those out or do you know if they have to come out to split the case?

Comment

Originally posted by 1978 View Post
                    Nice job! Quick question for you if you don't mind. You know all the screws behind the clutch? Did you have a hard time getting those out or do you know if they have to come out to split the case?
                    Use an impact with the correct bit. I bought some extended bits.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                      Use an impact with the correct bit. I bought some extended bits.
                      This was painfully obvious to read haha. I can't believe I did not think of it straight off! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by 1978 View Post
                        This was painfully obvious to read haha. I can't believe I did not think of it straight off! Thanks!
                        That's exactly what I did right off the bat. Judging by how they came out, there's no way those screws are coming out without an impact, and you'd definitely strip them out even trying.

Sorry for the late reply, hope everything came out alright.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X