compressing valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

compressing valves

So my dad went and ordered a tool to compress the valves, it's not working and just bending the tool. We're going to pick up some c claps tomorrow (didn't have one big enough). In the meantime, wanted to know if there was something that could cause them to seize up? Working on a 77 gs750

I use a 6" c-clamp to compress a 24mm deep socket that has about 1/3 of its perimiter cut away for access to the keepers.

Just did the valve seals on a 650 last week, it works perfectly.

The other tools you will need are a small hook, a magnet and some grease. These will be used to assemble the parts. A dab of grease inside the keepers will 'glue' them in place, the magnet will carry the keeper to the valve, the hook will hold the keeper to the valve, then push it around to the back so you can put the second keeper in place.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You can just put a socket (17mm or so, whatever fits the top of the retainer) over the valve and whack it lightly with a hammer. The keepers pop right out and sit there on top of the retainer.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yeah, but try that 'hammer on the socket' trick to put them back together.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

He didn't say he was putting it back together.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks for the info, picking up a 6" clamp tomorrow on the way out there. To be more specific, mainly just replacing the valve seals with a quick inspection on everything else. Need to get it back together asap so I can check my shims and hopefully get her rolling again. Crap that reminds me..I forgot to check the cams again. I'm pretty sure but will always double check.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              I was going to reply with "the only reason to replace the seals is to be able to ride again, which requires re-assembly", but I re-read the original post and found ... he only wants to compress the valves.

He didn't even say anything about springs.

Just shows how much we assume when we read these posts.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Manzarr View Post
                it's not working and just bending the tool.
                I just did this for the first time myself... You shouldn't have to use enough pressure to bend the tool. A couple of valves that seemed like they were being stubborn was actually me not having the tool lined up right. It was catching on the head, so I was compressing the aluminum instead of the spring. If it doesn't want to move, back it off and make sure everything is lined up perfectly. FWIW I used an 8" C clamp and an oxygen sensor socket. I just held them together until I had it clamped down, but most folks drill a hole in the clamp and bolt the socket onto it.

Good luck!
                sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  HAHA! Damnit Tom!

Comment

I use the same combination of an 8" c-clamp and an O2 sensor socket. The O2 sensor socket comes slotted already but I ground out the opening some more in order to get a better visual on the valve components for reassembly.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I used to have a "valve spring compressor", if they fit it should work fine, BUT you will have to give it a tap with a hammer to break the keepers loose from the taper in the retainer before you apply enough pressure to bend it.
                      Mine is lost, but it gave complete 360 degree access to put the keepers back in, worked great..
                      My 1150 head is now back together using a piece of pvc conduit,t with a window cut in it, left from my Sonic springs.

Comment

Larry D
                        1980 GS450S
                        1981 GS450S
                        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Great pictures Larry. You know what they say.... Pictures worth 1000 words.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I can't take the credit for the valve compressor because it's bwringer's.....but, I did use it and take the pics.
                            Larry D
                            1980 GS450S
                            1981 GS450S
                            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Still a good way to illustrate the "C-Clamp" method of valve removal.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                              X