82 GS750E ?s I am now scared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS750E ?s I am now scared

Ok I got this bike 4 months ago fro a man in his 60s it was a one owner.....i wanted a classic GS CB or KZ..so when I found this one a one owner with 18k on it I jumped on it...look at it she looks great!

it runs like new!!!!!!!!! Very well cared for I thought I had a GREAT bike.

But after I went to a local bike nite a few days ago I am freaked.

I spoke with a guy that said I would be lucky to get 30k miles out of this bike...that the engines were JUNK...said they didnt oil good and the motor would not last. Said he thought there was a shim fix or something but even that was a waste of time!

WTF is he talking about? Now I want to sale the bike and get a CB
    Attached Files

Originally posted by gs650mann View Post
    Ok I got this bike 4 months ago fro a man in his 60s it was a one owner.....i wanted a classic GS CB or KZ..so when I found this one a one owner with 18k on it I jumped on it...look at it she looks great!

it runs like new!!!!!!!!! Very well cared for I thought I had a GREAT bike.

But after I went to a local bike nite a few days ago I am freaked.

I spoke with a guy that said I would be lucky to get 30k miles out of this bike...that the engines were JUNK...said they didnt oil good and the motor would not last. Said he thought there was a shim fix or something but even that was a waste of time!

WTF is he talking about? Now I want to sale the bike and get a CB
    BULL SH*T, my 1980 GS750E has 59,000 miles on it, never been into the motor There is a simple shim upgrade for the oil pressure. I've never done it, haven't had too. It's all in the maintenance man. Valve adjustments, Oil changes, etc etc. Tell those guys they haven't a f**king clue what they are talking about. Keep the GS. Some people....
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
      BULL SH*T, my 1980 GS750E has 59,000 miles on it, never been into the motor There is a simple shim upgrade for the oil pressure. I've never done it, haven't had too. It's all in the maintenance man. Valve adjustments, Oil changes, etc etc. Tell those guys they haven't a f**king clue what they are talking about. Keep the GS. Some people....
      Dont u have the 8 valve engine? I think he was only talking about the 16v engine

Comment

Well they mostly last forever like any other Suzuki, all of the 1980 GS 750s I have had ran flawlessly for many thousands of miles. If and when it fails the 1100 engine bolts right in.

Win Win situation. The guy you met is a moron.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Of all the Suks, the 1980-1982GS750E might be the weakest link , and the main bearings do tend to cease, but mine had 58 thousand on it when I sold it and due to oil leaks in the bottom end I split the cases. The bearing were not perfect but certainly not a problem. You can shim an oil pressure relief valve to increase he pressure.

It is just occurred to me that the oil pressure relief valve might even be the problem??? One way to make sure is put a pressure gauge on it and see how your pressure is running. I had the 1981 as my first street bike and it ran very well and for a big bike was great to cruz around on. Not really for the highway like an 1100 is, but for around town nice scoot.

After a repaint

Mains at 58K Miles

Last edited by posplayr; 05-22-2015, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Would thin oil help???

Comment

Would thin oil help???

Yea fill the crankcase with WD-40

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post

Jim....WTF!
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

U a funny guy..u taking over for Letterman? Will 0W-20 oil not flow faster and reach tighter spaces that the 10w-40

Comment

Thinner oil will not pump properly. It would do the opposite.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Trollish OP.
                      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Of all the Suks, the 1980-1982GS750E might be the weakest link , and the main bearings do tend to cease, but mine had 58 thousand on it when I sold it and due to oil leaks in the bottom end I split the cases. The bearing were not perfect but certainly not a problem. You can shim an oil pressure relief valve to increase he pressure.

It is just occurred to me that the oil pressure relief valve might even be the problem??? One way to make sure is put a pressure gauge on it and see how your pressure is running. I had the 1981 as my first street bike and it ran very well and for a big bike was great to cruz around on. Not really for the highway like an 1100 is, but for around town nice scoot.

After a repaint

Mains at 58K Miles

where do i get a gauge and where do i hook up at

Comment

where do i get a gauge and where do i hook up at
                          Ask Reno Bruce if he still has them. If not they are on ebay. Plenty of people use them. I doubt the longevity of anything pressure gauge hooked to the motor but you are just checking pressure to confirm the relief valve is set properly.

If you sell parts or provide services for GS series motorcycles, place a description of it in this forum.

Comment

Not Knowing

Dont u have the 8 valve engine? I think he was only talking about the 16v engine
                            Mr Bill has the 16V.

Sounds like that individual you spoke to has never owned a GS...either that or he exaggerated some minor problems that owners didn't know how to fix.

Ed

EDIT: Nice Bike, btw. I dig 750s.
                            Last edited by GSXR7ED; 05-23-2015, 07:54 AM.
                            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                              Mr Bill has the 16V.

Sounds like that individual you spoke to has never owned a GS...either that or he exaggerated some minor problems that owners didn't know how to fix.

Ed

EDIT: Nice Bike, btw. I dig 750s.
                              How do I fix???

Comment

Working...
                              X