gsx1100 engine noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gsx1100 engine noise

Hi all I took my GSX1100 (1980) out for its first run since i bought it, and noticed a whirring/whining noise coming from the engine area, quite high pitched in sound. Like a zzzzzzzzzzzzz noise. Its hard to hear properly with the helmet on, but as i stop at the lights it seems to fade out. Im not sure if its constant or periodic as im riding as i cant hear properly.. I dont think the sound changes pitch with the revs. Its also difficult to pinpoint where its coming from as im riding (starter, clutch, engine or box). Chain tensioner?? Ive just changed the oil and filter too. Any suggestions where to start looking or elimination steps to find the source of the noise? Other than that the engine runs smooth. Also the noise is not there when i start and rev the bike in the shed, or at idle, so again hard to pinpoint. I know its pretty vague but appreciate any suggestions. Thanks, Che
    Last edited by Guest; 05-23-2015, 04:42 PM.

So you bought it like this, or this just appeared ? What did you use for oil? You might have to find safe spot and remove helmet to attempt to pinpoint noise. If you have fancy phone, record the sounds and someone will likely offer clues.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
    X