Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Slipped during ride

Hey everyone,

I was maybe 20 minutes out for a ride when I noticed that my clutch wasn't fully disengaging when I was stopped. Erring on the side of caution while riding I immediately made my way home. Halfway home my clutch lever simply drops, and regardless of holding in the clutch lever or not the bike wouldn’t disengage. I managed to go another 4-5 minutes holding the clutch lever in place until I made a stop at a light then proceeded to walk the bike back home.

I did know that my clutch cable needed a little bit of an adjustment, which I thought I did sufficiently before the ride.

My question now is, did I successfully burn out my clutch plates? Or is it possible that I stripped any (if not all) of the gears in the transmission?

If it is just the friction plates, can I just replace those plates and not the disks?

Thanks,

~T

Your terminology is hard to understand, clutch lever simply drops?? Did you just break the clutch cable? That's what it sounds like. If so you didn't hurt the plates at all.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I mean the gear shift lever, the one you use with your left foot. It dropped and went from 4th down to 1st, the only way I could keep it in gear was by holding it with my foot.
      During this time the clutch was fully engaged while the slip happened. when I disengaged it, nothing changed, the bike didn't slow down or reduce rpms at all.

Comment

Now that it has cooled down some, i decided to start it up.
        It starts, it runs, however it sounds like something is in the clutch (maybe a screw fell out). but it sounds like this.

CLICK

thanks for the help

Comment

OK, it starts and runs, but does it have all gear positions? Does it shift ? Does gear shift lever stay where you put it?
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Lad, I think it's way beyond your skills to fix this.
            Sounds like it's all got to be taken apart to find what'sup.

Call your biker uncle, or sell it.
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Clutch slip is when the engine revs up without corresponding accelleration. Having to hold pressure on the shift lever to keep it in gear does not sound clutch related. I would suspect bent shift forks or bad dogs in the transmission. Dogs are moved on the shaft by the shift forks. the dogs are splined to the shaft. They have teeth on their ends which stick into holes in the sides of the gears. By moving the dogs, you select which gear sets are engaged to the shafts.
              Last edited by 850 Combat; 05-31-2015, 10:08 PM.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

So I've found the problem. It's not nearly as serious as any thing that has been suggested.

the big nut that holds the clutch basket in came loose. I just didn't tighten it enough when I put the clutch back together.

Easy fix and well within my skills to fix

Comment

Working...
                X