Correct clutch cable for clip ons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by claygs750e View Post
    SO I removed the basket agaain last night and everything apears to be in really good condition. I adjusted the cable to get as on the shaft as possible, but after riding it this morning it's still the same thing. I've noticed that its always harder to shift into 2nd gear and after about 15 mins everything is much better? WHat am I missing here?

This is what mine looks like:

Seems the same as yours.
    Attached Files
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Huntb...let me know if the new fibers work for you because even though they are in spec and even though they look fine that's the next option I've been leaning. I agree that it seems that when the oil gets warm it runs better, but I've already lowered the weight to 5w/40 so all thats left I would think are the fibers.

Comment

Huntb...let me know if the new fibers work for you because even though they are in spec and even though they look fine that's the next option I've been leaning. I agree that it seems that when the oil gets warm it runs better, but I've already lowered the weight to 5w/40 so all thats left I would think are the fibers.
        Clay - just wanted to let you know the new fibers fixed the problem (cable could be adjusted a little still) check out the pics of the old vs new. Old fibers are on the left (purple one). They must have been aftermarket or something. The fiber material is much thicker than the metal in the middle, the contact patches on the fibers are larger and the grooves are more shallow than OEM. Both the old and new plates measured the correct thickness.

Comment

When you say the old fibers on the left, do youy mean the ones that look a brown/gold type color because mine look exactly like those. The darker ones on the right don't look like mine.

Comment

When you say the old fibers on the left, do youy mean the ones that look a brown/gold type color because mine look exactly like those. The darker ones on the right don't look like mine.
            Well left being left... yes the brown/red/gold fibers are the ones that I took out (old). The black ones are the new ones that I put in

Comment

So if your saying the OEM that you put in are the ones on the right they look like a darker color and thicker. I have the ones that are on the left that look brown/gold and appear to be thinner than the ones on the right. I would think the thicker ones would cause even more problems with the plates seperating since there is less space.

Comment

So if your saying the OEM that you put in are the ones on the right they look like a darker color and thicker. I have the ones that are on the left that look brown/gold and appear to be thinner than the ones on the right. I would think the thicker ones would cause even more problems with the plates seperating since there is less space.
                The old and new plates are the same thickness, but the difference in total groove area might be part of the solution (OEM, more grooves, and more room to squeeze oil out of the clutch pack), plus new OEM fibres might be all it needs. Also, who knows what a PO has dosed the engine oil with - some squirrelly snake oil additive could have messed up the plates.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                X