Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake Manifolds

Hey all,

So I had to switch out my 1980 GS550e's cylinder head. I got a cylinder head for a 1980 GS550L. To my understanding, they should be the same.

I tried to put the intake manifolds from my old cylinder head onto the new one, and the are too large.

Does anyone have any information on the different sizes of intake manifolds??

Thanks

I have never heard of this. The parts fiche lists only one type of intake. Could you maybe take some pictures and put them up so we can see what you have.

Comment

If you are talking about the intake pipe, according to this parts list, the 550L pipes are not the same as on a 550e:

Buy Suzuki 13120-47010 - PIPE, INTAKE LH. This OEM part is guaranteed by Suzuki's limited part warranty ✓ FREE Shipping on qualified orders - Partzilla.com

Interestingly, they don't even list a 550e for 1980. The closest they list is the '79 http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...NER/parts.html

and the intake pipes (parts 18 and 19) are:

13110-47000 (RH) and 13120-47000 (LH)

EDIT- so maybe you have a different head on the 550E. Have some pictures for us?
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

This is from the old cylinder head. Notice how the top bolt hole is above the cooling fin.
        Attached Files

Comment

This is the new cylinder head. The top bolt hole is below the cooling fin.
          Attached Files

Comment

The intake manifold from the old cylinder head next to the new head. Much larger.
            Attached Files

Comment

I'm starting to think the PO may have put a different cylinder head on the bike. Maybe a different year. The valves, cams, and everything else match up. I had just put new valves in the old head before I needed to replace it. So, I put them in the new head.

I guess instead of putting the bike back together, I'll make my rounds to the local salvage yards to see if I can find the proper intakes.

Comment

Different carbs, your new head is for VM22 and your old is for BS cv type carbs. Looks like you got a 79 or older head.
                My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

I am wondering if it might actually be a '79 that was first sold in '80, and is therefore titled as an '80?

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Engine number search should help ?
                    My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Well, I found a another cylinder head. Gotta love eBay! I'd rather not get another set of carbs, as I really like my set up for pods and 4 into 1 exhaust, as it is.

I made sure this one is, in fact, from a 1980. I will be returning the 79 or older head, unless someone on here needs one.

Thanks for the help, guys. I appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
                      X