Need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help

OK I had a bad noise coming from motor. I pulled the flywheel and found the starter clutch was bad. It has chewed the end of the crank shaft and the starter clutch up pretty bad. Now what can I do? Do I have to replace the hole crank shaft or can I get just the end? I saw a diagram of one taken apart. I would just have to get that end, and a new flywheel, and starter clutch. Or do I have to replace everything?

Post a pic of the damage to the crank. It's possible that you just need to replace the starter cutch and add red Loctite to the crank when putting it back on.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

OK here is a picture I think.
      Attached Files

Comment

Here is another
        Attached Files

Comment

So do I need to replace the lh crank end. I saw where I could buy just the end but seems no one has it in stock for sale, and most place dont carry it to sell. What do you guy think I should do. I am going to go ahead and start tearing the motor down. Thanks

Comment

I would wait for some answer from our more expert folks. I believe you have to replace the whole crank and rods. I have seen some suggested ways to fix a chewed up crack end.

What year and model Bike? I am pretty sure that crank end is pressed on.

Comment

It is my 81 gs1100e. I have seen crank parts but most places don't have it in stock. I don't understand what happened to it. The clutch seemed fine. All the bearings and springs were in place. I don't get what and why it was chewing the shaft up like that. I already found a complete replacement for three hundred buck, but if I can get just the one piece for eitghty. Why not. I started tearing the motor down. Today figure either way crank has to come out.

Comment

Each piece has to be pressed on including the rods. It takes someone that has the right equipment and the knowledge of these types of cranks. From what I have seen there are only a couple of people in the states that even work on these cranks.
                I believe the cheapest way if you dont want to go for an easy fix (If there is one) is to replace the crank with rods, might need more I am not sure.
                Cant understand why someone with more experience hasn't chimed in yet.

The damage is caused by the metal under the flywheel degrading over all these years.

A possible fix maybe some JB weld some filing and Loctite.
                Last edited by Guest; 06-02-2015, 02:48 PM.

Comment

More then likely the problem originated from the flywheel bolt coming loose. Not sure if that is salvageable or not. Several members on here have dealt with this issue and will chime in.

If the crank does need to be replaced then you're best to replace the entire crank assembly as a whole with a good used assembly. There may be members here that can provide you with that assembly at a decent price.

As others have indicated, the crank is pressed together from several components and must be assembled true and be balanced. Not every shop has the ability to do this properly and it is NOT a do at home process.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                  1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                  1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Oh Ok, I saw them broken down and thought I could get the parts. I have been looking around the net for one. Can't find an exact match yet. I am not sure if there are any other years or models are a match. I am not going to give up on this old bike. I am upset it is this bad off, but I am loving this bike and not willing to give up. I am going to try to find it at green's cycle salvage in the morning. They have a ton of older bikes. I did find a complete motor, but is a bit pricey. Thanks for all your help guys. I have to start tearing this motor down. I made a stand today after work to support it. and got a lot of bags to keep bolts apart. If anyone out there had a crank for a 1981 Suzuki gs1100E, Please let me know, how much, and where it is. Thanks Guys.

Comment

I have an 1100 crank I think is probably from a 1981, I can check it out in a couple days.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

You need to send your crank to one of the experts, or replace it outright. The crank guys can replace the end...but it's not cheap. There are lots of threads on this topic so you might want to search some.

When you send the crank in ask about upgrading to the "large taper" end. Those are far less prone to spinning the rotor than the early cranks with a smaller taper end. You will also need a large rotor then but that's the price of admission.
                        Last edited by Nessism; 06-02-2015, 10:10 PM.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I haven't seen RapidRay on in a while. I figured he would have chimed in on this already with an offer of a spare crank on hand or a recommendation for who to talk to. Good stock 1100 cranks might be hard to find, since those are still popular drag motors. Hopefully Tom's works out.

Pearson Racing is one of only two or three reputable crank builders in the US. He worked on a head for me a few years ago. I'd trust him for any machine work on a GS. He knows them very well and he's a meticulous machinist. There's a good chance he has a good end from a torched crank on hand, or he may be able to weld it up and cut a new taper.

Big Jay is a member here, he's connected with Ape performance parts. IIRC, they do crank work too. I don't see him around here often, so he's likely to miss this thread. Send him a private message, or just call Ape to inquire.
                          Dogma
                          --
                          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                          '80 GS850 GLT
                          '80 GS1000 GT
                          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I am looking to try to just replace it. I have been searching everywhere I can think may have a crank or complete motor, being there are other parts to replace, and would not mind having extra parts on hand. I am in a holding pattern, waiting to see what all I can find. I spent the night pulling the motor and mounting it on the stand. I haven't taken the motor apart, will start that in the morning. Guys your all awesome Thanks for all the help

Comment

Working...
                            X