My Quandary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Quandary

I've learned the hard way that if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

My '83 GS1100ES has hit the 40k km mark, about 25K miles.

I bought it used and it has consistently provided great reliability. A Bud of mine is recommending I get into doing a valve adjustment and carb rebuild on it.

I really don't want to risk screwing something up. On the other hand, I have no history on whether the previous owner undertook any maintenance.

Suggestions?

Checking the valve clearances is part of the regular maintenance schedule is a vital part for continued smooth running. If they get out of spec, things will break and major work will be needed. If they are within spec then no further work needed.

If the carbs are working fine, with no leaks and the bike pulls cleanly then a rebuild is not strictly necessary at this time. If they haven't been apart for some time then maybe cleaning out the float bowls would be a good idea. Getting them synchronised is again part of maintenance and helps a smooth running engine.

Both of these points will help your engine start easier and keep it silky smooth.
    The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

I doubt it needs a carb rebuild if its running great
      Valves absolutely must be checked its insane not to do it.
      I do mine once a year whether the mileage is there or not

Comment

Valve adjustments are mandatory if you want the bike to continue running properly
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

It's called "preventive maintenance" for a reason.

When I worked for Nissan all the US dealer warranty replacement engines used to come into our shop for analysis. It was quite remarkable to go though the forensic teardown and note that about 75% of them never had an oil change. You can alway tell because of the black sludge accumulation inside the engine. The VQ35, which is a fantastic engine, would make it about 25k miles before a rod would come through the side of the block or similar. A lot of these engines came from Infinti or upscale Nissan's, where you would think the people would know better. Apparently not.

At any rate, doing maintenance is good. You might want to check the Newbie Mistakes thread linked in my signature for some tips on various other critical maintenance tasks that similarly shouldn't be ignored.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Sadly a lot of folks know nothing about doing maintenance.
            I recall once trying to tell a particularly hot girl about how a reciprocating piston gasoline engine works and she shusshed me.
            Actully put the hand up
            Just did not want to know as that would make the car no longer magical.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
              Sadly a lot of folks know nothing about doing maintenance.
              I recall once trying to tell a particularly hot girl about how a reciprocating piston gasoline engine works and she shusshed me.
              Actully put the hand up
              Just did not want to know as that would make the car no longer magical.
              I recall telling a girl about 'SUCK, SQUEEZE, BANG, BLOW.' That turned out better than expected.
              The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

It starts and runs good, idles well and pulls hard to redline? Leave the carbs alone.

Check the valves.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrano View Post
                  I recall telling a girl about 'SUCK, SQUEEZE, BANG, BLOW.' That turned out better than expected.
                  I guess its all in the delivery.............

Comment

I thought I recognized your user name. You've been a member here for 7+ years, c'mon man, you know these machines and the necessary maintenance involved.
                    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Aah, the ostrich method of maintenance.

Ditto the others...probably no need for pulling the carbs, but you can't really screw up by putting a feeler gauge between the shim and the cam lobe. If it turns out that things have gotten a wee bit tight, do an adjustment, and you'll be good for another 5000km or so.
                      '83 GS650G
                      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

In addition to not adjusting valves, waiting for the stator loop meltdown is pretty dumb when it's easily rectified. Add in not flushing your brake system every other year or so too.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Stator issue easily rectified I see what yah did there!

Comment

Recommendation & Fun Stuff

Originally posted by Mercaholic View Post
                            I've learned the hard way that if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

My '83 GS1100ES has hit the 40k km mark, about 25K miles.

I bought it used and it has consistently provided great reliability. A Bud of mine is recommending I get into doing a valve adjustment and carb rebuild on it.

I really don't want to risk screwing something up. On the other hand, I have no history on whether the previous owner undertook any maintenance.

Suggestions?
                            Valve Adjustment...get it done as everyone suggests. I had help with mine...very tedious but necessary. (16V vs 8V)

Originally posted by Cyrano View Post
                            Another way to describe: Intake, Compression, Power, and Exhaust.

I like your description better...and the message is definitely dependent on the delivery...you sly individual.

Ed
                            Last edited by GSXR7ED; 06-03-2015, 10:45 PM.
                            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Agreed on definitely doing the valves at a minimum. I rode mine for 15 years thinking the carbs were good. I did the o rings (Robert Barr kit) and replaced the intake boots this winter. what a difference for the better. I definitely waited too long. It runs much smoother and is more enjoyable to ride.
                              sigpic
                              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                              -Rusty old scooter.
                              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                              X