4 into 1 or 4 into 2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 into 1 or 4 into 2?

Thinking of getting an aftermarket exhaust. What are the pros and cons of both of these styles?
    -Mark
    Boston, MA
    Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
    sigpic
    1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Originally posted by mvalenti View Post
    Thinking of getting an aftermarket exhaust. What are the pros and cons of both of these styles?
    Better sound with 4-into-1. Also less rust if you take short trips that don't heat up the tail pipes enough to burn off all the condensation.

More tunable for better performance. Less weight.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I dunno about some of what he said.
      I don't see any rust on my dual mufflers, one bike is an 82, the other a 90.
      As for tuning and sound, they are quieter so that ain't cool? Tuning why not?
      Duals cost more because you have to buy 2 mufflers, so oops that will make a few folks jealous you bought them.

You do lose the weight of the 2nd muffler, but maybe you can shed some weight off your gut?
      So I'd say it comes down to, noise level, money and the different look.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

There is a difference in how they work. 4-1 can have better scavenging, at certain RPMs a properly designed 4-1 pipe will actually suck some of the exhaust out of the cylinder. Helps to make more power at the top end of the RPM range the engine is designed for. Usually you get less low and midrange power, so it feels even faster when it comes on the pipe. Good for racing, not so good for everything else, but a lot of people like them.

4-2 will generally be better at the low and mid range torque at the expense of a little bit of top end power. Generally will get better fuel economy, because it's tuned better for the lower RPM that most of us cruise at most of the time. Really makes more sense for most riders who aren't winding the crap out of the engine all the time. They can both sound just as good, can both be as loud or as quiet as you want them to be. Both will rust if they are not gotten hot before being parked.

I think the best is a 4-2-1, but they are hard to find.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks, seems 4 into 2 is where I should be. AND my apologies for not posting this in the right directory.
          -Mark
          Boston, MA
          Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
          sigpic
          1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Working...
          X