Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fresh oil dripping from exhaust pipe flange (right outermost exhaust pipe)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fresh oil dripping from exhaust pipe flange (right outermost exhaust pipe)

Hi

i have a 1979 suzuki gs750l. I recently had the valve cover gasket replaced. I drove the motorcycle home and noticed nothing. After a couple of days i drove the motorcycle again and noticed that i had oil dripping from the top of the right front cam end plug. So, i pulled things apart and with a scalpel, carefully removed the new gasket from the right front section of the valve housing as it was attached on the bottom side with some kind of adhesive. I carefully removed the adhesive that was originally used with the new valve cover gasket as well. I cleaned the surface up as best i could. And i then used red rtv high temp gasket maker on top of the right front cam end plug and along that part of the housing where the gasket attaches. I then let it cure for 24 hours with the valve cover on loosely and then tightened things down and started up the motorcycle the next day. The spot where it was leaking was now sealed tight (it was no longer leaking). However, now i had a different problem as i saw old dripping from some of the of the exhaust pipe flanges (particularly the right outermost one). note: I did not see any oil leaking from where the valve cover meshes with the valve cover gasket along the front.

question: Could oil be leaking from the inner side of valve cover gasket and down near where the spark plug sits and from there moving through a head vent hole that goes to(or near) the exhaust flange bolt???

If this could be the culprit, then all i would have to do is to take things apart again, remove the gasket again, and then use the rtv along the entire underside of the gasket in the right front section where the gasket meets the valve cover housing.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Bigcheese

There should be no need to use any gasket maker on the valve cover, other than for the half moons. I would clean things up very well and then restart the bike and watch to see where the oil is coming from. Are you sure a bit of oil just didn't come out onto the header flange while you had the cover off? it often does.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
    X