What is acceptable oil consumption --- 81' GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is acceptable oil consumption --- 81' GS850G

I check and top off , if necessary, the oil each time I go on any ride of significance. I have been keeping detailed record and I am using about 1 qt per 1,000 miles. Sometimes I get just the slightest puff of smoke on startup, the compression on 3 cylinders is very good and the 4 was about 10 % less, I wrote it all down but don't have numbers in front of me, all were within acceptable tolerances. Minimal leakage on the engine, nothing ever on the ground. Retorqued the head about 2 months ago and it seems to eliminated any slight weeping I had in the base gasket area. If I were to clean the engine now I would expect it to stay oil free.

Hows 1 qt per 1,000 look to you guys? What do the experienced Suzuki GS guys say about this or what is your experiences in this area

1 quart / 1000 miles doesn't warrant a repair, but it's not typical for a GS until the bike has covered 75k+ miles.

A puff of blue smoke on start up suggests valve stem seals. More significant oil burning is typically due to the rings.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Used to be that 1L / 1qt per 1000mls was acceptable enough for manufacturers - in that, they wouldn't entertain warranty claims if the consumption was around that figure. Things haven't changed much, in that regard.
      Otoh, engines vary in design and success of break-in, and I'd live with an engine that did that consumption without thinking twice about it, although I'd generally look for lower consumption than that from a Suzuki engine that was in good order. I'd only be bothered to strip and re-ring (or whatever was needed) if the consumption rose to around 400 miles per L (qt), which mine is getting close to.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Mine seemed to be burning a bit and I took it for a long hard run and it seems way better now.

Comment

Originally posted by RGM View Post
          Mine seemed to be burning a bit and I took it for a long hard run and it seems way better now.
          This usually helps. Sometimes it takes a thousand miles or so. Whip it good.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I've rode bikes where it's worse than that, needed valve seals and rings. Just make sure you keep a litre with you and there's nothing to worry about.
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

2.8 litres every 3000 miles. No. Wait that's the other number.
              Funny Dave should mention 1 litre / 400 miles. That's exactly what I used on a round trip to Waterville last Summer. Sneaky half moons.
              As others have said I wouldn't sweat a litre per 1000 miles. It's close to a total loss system. I would expect to live around half of that with most of the main leaks attended to on a thirty year old air-cooled motor..
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

That consumption does not surprise me and is about what my 850 uses with 52,000 + miles. It all depends on how hard I ride it and how "hot" it is outside.

V
                Gustov
                80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                81 GS 1000 G
                79 GS 850 G
                81 GS 850 L
                83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                80 GS 550 L
                86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                2002 Honda 919
                2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

1QT / 1000 miles is acceptable consumption - but you know how some perfectionists are - Way back when the oil is used to help seal / lubricate / and cool... lots for 1 fluid to do - eh?

you probably still have the stock cast pistons which have a oil scraper ring that doesn't get it all cleared away for the second ring - you can't see the smoke but it is such a small amount no'fret. it's ok. the tolerances - heat expansion all that ... easy enough to keep a QT handy.

the puff at start up is the guide seals and the comp test can't tell you that.

a guy could unglaze the cylinders with a ball hone and some new rings will help - but the real answer is aftermarket forged pistons that have better more modern design in every way and completely do your head -- de-carbon / freshen valve job . new guide seals - maybe a set of valve springs.
                  SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Another idea is that it's probably used oil since it was new, probably because the original owner babied the engine to break it in when he should have been opening the throttle. No way to know unless the original owner was you, but if and when you do rebuild the top end ride it hard, open the throttle wide, especially the first few miles.

Nothing good can come of the factory recommended easy break in procedure except they don't get sued as often by new owners crashing their motorcycles.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      Another idea is that it's probably used oil since it was new, probably because the original owner babied the engine to break it in when he should have been opening the throttle. No way to know unless the original owner was you, but if and when you do rebuild the top end ride it hard, open the throttle wide, especially the first few miles.

Nothing good can come of the factory recommended easy break in procedure except they don't get sued as often by new owners crashing their motorcycles.
                      That's the thing, unless you own it from new who's to say how it was broken in or the life it led previously.

My good friend has a shop and I think we'll just tear it down and do the top end at some point. He says we should put a big bore kit of some kind in it but really who cares, it's not a sport bike and it's fine the way it is. News rings, valve seals, ect and call it a day. Got to think we can knock it out in a few hours if we focus.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        Nothing good can come of the factory recommended easy break in procedure...
                        That's a common belief that Cycle World has addressed repeatedly over the years. It makes no sense at all, and it's been demonstrated to be just a myth.

Unless you know more than the manufacturer.
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I'll take that oil burn rate! My 82' GS850L acquired from the original owner with less than 25k miles uses a quart every 300 miles!!! He changed the oil/filter every autumn, kept it in a garage, and it spent the last 20 years doing short city errand runs for him. The compression reads ~42 psi across the board. So WTH happened to this engine? The guy is not an aggressive driver at all. The only thing I could find was that the air filter was installed on the bottom of the air box so it was pretty much not getting filtered air, but that may have been that way just the last couple years or from 30 years ago...

Comment

What if it's just the rings are stuck ? Might be worth researching ways to at least try to free them up before assuming the worst.
                            97 R1100R
                            Previous
                            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                              That's a common belief that Cycle World has addressed repeatedly over the years. It makes no sense at all, and it's been demonstrated to be just a myth.

Unless you know more than the manufacturer.

I have used this method on several engines (both automotive and motorcycle) that I have built. It works great. The factory break-in procedures are intentionally very conservative. You are highly likely to get lower performance following the factory instructions.

Comment

Working...
                              X