Generator nut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generator nut

I'm just wondering what size the nut that screws onto the crankshaft to hold the generator magnet and the starter clutch on a 1982 Suzuki gs1100ez some of the crankshaft threads are crushed and I need the right size button die to clean them up just can't find the right mm and thread size anywhere. Thanks for the help.

You will need a METRIC thread file to do that.
    Ray.

Comment

Why couldn't I just use a metric button die . But first I need to find out what mm the crankshaft is and the thread

Comment

Do what you want but the file is MUCH cheaper & easier to find than the die!
        Ray.

Comment

I recall someone suggesting 16mm fine. A thread gauge would help or bring the nut to an engineers supply shop and match it to a screw. I would agree that a small triangular file is less risky and you can do more of a persuasion job. Dies can go all nuclear.
          How did the threads get crushed ?

PS be careful matching screws to nuts. There is a weird situation with 16mm and 5/8". I always forget which way it goes but it can fool you.
          Last edited by Brendan W; 07-18-2015, 06:11 AM.
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

They got smashed cause I over reved it and broke the 3 bolts to the starter clutch and than the generator magnet spun off the crankshaft and smashed the threads

Comment

You really have the tee shirt. I'd be prepared to bet that some have done more damage trying to get the rotor off the conventional way
              97 R1100R
              Previous

Comment

What do you mean tee shirt. And the conventional way?

Comment

Tee shirt - been there. Conventional way is to loosen the screw and use a pullers for the rotor. Many have trouble with both and can end up doing damage to threads.
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous

Comment

Oh ok yea I have the puller for it but that was not the issue this time lol I just ordered a thread file hope it works

Comment

Working...
                    X