Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Mount Bolt Size?

Hey Guys,

My situation is that I'm missing a bolt on one of my engine mounts. I found this out last night when I was under the bike tightening the carbs down. I have an '82 GS650GL and this bolt is located right under the stator on the left side of the motor. Does anyone know the size of this bolt? I took some calipers and measured 14mm but am not 100% sure. Also any idea on length?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Guest; 07-22-2015, 06:05 PM.

M10x40mm is the size of the bolt. there should also be a special teardrop shaped nut for that bolt, Suzuki part number 09159-10020

1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Thanks! I want to say that nut is still in there. The threads are there to see. I need to take a flashlight to this tonight. Do you think ACE hardware would carry this bolt?

Comment

any decent hardware store should stock it. make sure you use a flat washer and a spring washer on it and what ever you do DO NOT be tempted to use a slightly longer bolt as you run the risk of it puncturing a hole in the crankcases
        1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
          any decent hardware store should stock it. make sure you use a flat washer and a spring washer on it and what ever you do DO NOT be tempted to use a slightly longer bolt as you run the risk of it puncturing a hole in the crankcases
          Alright so I just got home from the hardware store with the bolt, washer, and spring washer. I started screwing it into the hole and noticed that there were no threads in there... it looks like I'm missing that special teardrop shaped nut that you were talking about since I now put a flashlight up to it. But with the way I look at the construction of the mount, how could that nut hold the bolt inside the motor since it would be sitting on the outside end of the mount?

Here's a picture of what it looks like right now:

Comment

Here is the part Agemax is talking about.

2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
              Here is the part Agemax is talking about.

Thanks for posting up the picture. I looked it up as well but it doesn't look like it would fit in there. If it sits on the outside of this little bracket, how would it hold the bolt in place so it doesn't fall out?

Comment

it sits in a recess in the crankcase
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

Interesting... I don't seem to have a recess in the crankcase from that view. I might just have to think of something else to hold it. It seems to be doing fine so far so maybe I could even leave it alone...

Comment

Working...
                  X