adjusting clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adjusting clutch

Hello I have a 1982 gs750 and I can't seem to get it in neutral anyone lead me in the right direction how how to adjust the clutch properly thanks Mike

Comment

Best to disconnect cable at clutch lever arm - this keeps adjustment onhand lever from confusing things. The lever arm might have to be repositioned on its shaft. If you push arm with your hand you will feel it start to release clutch plates -this is start point- i.e. The point where clutch cable should commence pulling on lever arm. You fine tune the cable slack to get this spot with a little slack on hand lever.The arm will be pointing forward - pic shows mine which likes to be angled in slightly, your will probably be straighter.

edit: does your clutch arm lever face towards rear? Hard to tell from pics that I have seen. If so, ignore my pic and stuff about pointing forward! In my pic, as soon as I pull on hand lever about 1/4 inch, I can feel clutch tension.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by tom203; 07-25-2015, 07:13 AM. Reason: Confusion
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

My lever arm points towards the back my lever is really hard to pull to not sure why

Comment

The principle is the same whether lever points forward or resrward. Look at attached parts diagram. When lever arm is pulled by cable, shaft 24 turns- the gear on shaft 24 meshes with the gear 21 -this causes clutch plates to seperate and release, you can't have alot of slop here or the hand lever won't be able to do its job. The clutch lever arm has to be located on shaft 24 with very little play before you feel the clutch plates start to release.once here then you adjust cable to suit this position-
          Neutral will be harder to find if bike is cold or has not been used for while- the plates tend to stick together.

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I will start from that point and see what happens this bike has been brought back from the dead so it runs just not down the road yet.

Comment

I used the heel of my hand to push on clutch lever arm to determine where resistance starts. The cable might have been poorly adjusted that's why I said to disconnect it, so it doesn't confuse finding the the "start" point.
              1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
              X