Stripped out valve cover hold down bolt hole #4 exh 85 GS1150 EF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripped out valve cover hold down bolt hole #4 exh 85 GS1150 EF

On an 85 GS1150EF is there enough material in the hole of the #4 exh cam cover hold down bolt hole to drill it out & put a helicoil in it ?. Is the hold down hole part of the cam hold down cap ? Has anyone swapped one from another motor ? If so, Ill buy one for #4 exhaust if anyone has one off an old bad head if the helicoil wont work. I just love finding quality work done by POs. Thanks for any help

Every one of mine on my 1150 are helicoiled the PO had striped them all. I did it myself was not hard. Just be careful remove the cam cap set your drill depth no problem

Comment

I helicoiled one also. Be sure to get the correct size. (7mm I think) its aparrently an oddball size and I had to order a kit from the auto supply.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I have gone through an put helicoils in all of my often used bolt holes. No need to fret; the bike will be better for it.

Comment

The Helicoil kit you need is 7x1.0 mm. Put the cap in a vise on a drill press to make sure you get the hole straight. You can tap it straight by also putting the Helicoil tap in the drill press chuck too. Just turn the chuck by hand while putting downward pressure on the quill. This is how I do every one & have never had a leak because they all end up correct this way.
          Ray.

Comment

Thank you, thank you, you guys have made my day ! I had visions of trying to find a cap off another motor & having to check it for clearance. Does the drill & tap come in the heli coil kit or do you have buy them separately ?

Comment

One last question, is there a specific length helicoil that I need or is that what the 1.0 is ?

Comment

I bought a kit on ebay complete with drill,tap and Helicoils. It is called a "Kit"

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M7-x-1-0-Met...item2a4f2b7522 this one ?

Comment

Originally posted by Katarat View Post
                    Yes M7.0x1.0 means 7mm diameter and 1 thread per mm. I'm just realizing you are talking cam caps; yes very easy to strip. The M6.0x1.0 are used very commonly as case bolts. You should have some of them as well. An occasional M5.0x0.8.

I would buy something like this and get a more popular size for a larger multi size kit.

These have a different handle to what mine has, but I assume they work well.

BTW I was out of the M6x1.0 helicoils so found some cheap here.

Holy Mackerel: this is the kit I have.
                    Last edited by posplayr; 08-02-2015, 06:18 PM.

Comment

I took the #4 exhaust cam hold down cap off today and it has 2 cracks where the threads go. One about 1/8 inch & one about 1/4 inch which is down to the main part of the cam hold down cap. It doesn't look to me like the heli-coil would work to me but Im asking you guys your opinion. If the answer is no would you guys know anyone that would sell me the cam hold down cap off of a damaged 1150 head. Im dead in the water here and would appreciate any help. I don't want to buy the $46 heli-coil kit if it isn't going to hold, which it don't look to me like it will. I guess I need to know if a cam cap off another motor will work too. This SOB is fighting me all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Katarat View Post
                        I took the #4 exhaust cam hold down cap off today and it has 2 cracks where the threads go. One about 1/8 inch & one about 1/4 inch which is down to the main part of the cam hold down cap. It doesn't look to me like the heli-coil would work to me but Im asking you guys your opinion. If the answer is no would you guys know anyone that would sell me the cam hold down cap off of a damaged 1150 head. Im dead in the water here and would appreciate any help. I don't want to buy the $46 heli-coil kit if it isn't going to hold, which it don't look to me like it will. I guess I need to know if a cam cap off another motor will work too. This SOB is fighting me all the way.
                        If the crack is bigger than the drill for the helicoil, you might be able to use something larger like a Time Sert. But without pictures I'm just guessing. PM Rapid Ray he probably has what you need.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                          If the crack is bigger than the drill for the helicoil, you might be able to use something larger like a Time Sert. But without pictures I'm just guessing. PM Rapid Ray he probably has what you need.
                          Thats your best bet….

I have epoxy in one of mine, I filled it, drilled it and helicoiled it, its been holding for many many years, but it did grab a good amount of aluminum.
                          I am always VERY VERY careful with all those bolts, and I have no leaks. I also have replaced the rubber gasket twice in the last 25 yrs when it seems to get a bit hard. I don't know if the gaskets are still available I haven looked in a while.

Comment

Ive got a machinist buddy that's going to weld it up, drill it out and cut new metric threads in it while its bolted down to a plate. I asked him about heli-coils & he don't like them so I wasn't going to argue. Never look a gift horse in the mouth. I saw some gaskets on Ebay for $25 a set plus $6.95 shipping. Id still take a spare if anyone has one to sell, just in case. Thanks for all the help guys.

Comment

Alot of guys do not like helicoils, especially helicoils in steel. But from my experience, a helicoil in aluminum is the best of both worlds.
                              After it is welded and you strip it again you can put the helicoil in .

Guys will make similar argument for Timecerts, but after you look at the hole you have to drill for one of those, you will say thanks but no thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X