Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS850L not starting

So...

i got a GS850L 82, bought it about 3-4 months ago.

Needs a Valve cover gasket and it leaks oil lightly. I havent had the chance to change it out, and I did drive it around for a couple of rides. (nothing extreme, just here and there cuz its my only source of transportation.)

The one major problem as far as running I had was that it would conk out at 1-1.5 RPMS, at red lights in nuetral. I raised the Idle (stupid I know) its stitting at a 2RPM idle, which it wont conk ut then.

So, I went to start it up after not touching it for a week, and got nothin but the enginge attempting to turn over. Sparks were kinda black, especially Cylinder 4. I changed them out, got the same problem... I then went and checked the battery @ Autozone. battery needed a charge, was at 40%, but had 190 CCA so it was good. Gave it a full charge same issue.

Im headed to get a compression tester to check that next.

Also, my last couple of rides, after turning the bike off, I heard a hissing sound coming from my Gas cap. If i put my fingers around the cap i could stop the hiss. I've read this is the gas tank letting off pressure, but if i am not getting gas into the engine that could be my issue.

BTW I was very very very carefull about my oil level, Every ride I went out on, I checked oil, gas, brakes, lights, tires.

I picked the bike up for $1000. Was my first bike I just jumped on and learned how to ride so shes serving her purpose giving me work experience on it as well. If its not the compression (which I dont think it is) what else could it be?

How difficult would it be to clean out the carb?

Not to be blunt, but the reason your bike is running poorly is because it's in bad need of maintenance.

First, get the charging system sorted. If you have the stock regulator/rectifier, replace it with a series-type R/R from a Polaris side-by-side. Polaris part number 4012941. Charge your battery and then do the charging system quick-test: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...92#post1272192 If you pass, you're good to go.

The bike should idle just fine and dandy at around 1000 rpm once it's warmed up. When it does not, it's usually because the carbs need to be cleaned. There's a mega-welcome link in my sig. Follow that for your very own copy of the factory service manuals, tutorials, and loads of other information. You'll also find a carb cleaning guide or two. Cleaning the carbs is not hard, and it's not expensive, but it takes some time and attention to detail.

Then you should probably have a halfway-decent running bike. But there's still a lot more stuff to do:

- An engine oil change (if you haven't done one yourself)
    - Ditto for the gear oil (secondary and final)
    - A teardown, inspection, and rebuild of all brakes (highly recommended to replace the stock brake lines with new stainless steel braided lines as well)
    - Check/adjust valve clearances (take care of your valve cover gasket at the same time)
    - Clean and seal up the air box
    - New tires, if yours are more than about five years old

Your bike can be rock-solid reliable but it does require some care and feeding, especially if it's your primary source of transportation.

Are you in the U.S.? If so, seek out an MSF basic rider course in your area. More than recommended, it's pretty much a necessity. Do it before you can teach yourself bad habits you'll have to unlearn and/or crash your bike.

Welcome!
    Last edited by eil; 08-03-2015, 09:34 PM.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

yea I know. I was learning from an old friend of mine. Life got complicated after getting the bike, I didnt want to do a full tear down of it, cuz 1 I was havin to much fun, and 2 I started dating this girl and I really didnt have time between work and her. Anyways

The bike won't start at all. I didnt get to autozone in time for a compression kit, but tbh, I really don't think its that. A motor doesn't just blow up sitting in a garage. but can't say for sure. (I will be getting it asap and checking b4 moving forward.)

As far as charging system, battery's good. I can hear the motor trying to start.... Rev rev rev rev rev. Im assuming the battery dies cuz I was trying to roll start it goin from nuetral to 1st or 2nd, while starting, after attempting this a few times I drained the battery. Left the batter on charge for 12 hours, its in good shape now (i've hooked it to a voltmeter got a 12.4V not hooked up), the starter is going faster. New sparks, so ignition seems good.

Im guessing its either the carb or the motor did blow, I just got lucky to get home, there was enough compression to keep it on, but not enough to turn it over. Thing is i dont smell any gas at all, soif it was getting gas, and the compression was bad enough to the point where it won't start, The amount of attempts I made to start it up, I should smell gas no?

If it is the carb, how difficult is it to rebuild that carb, its 4 barrel, bike being 4 cyl. I've heard the carbs a nightmare, I am mechanically inclined, so yes I can figure it out, but to tackle the project I'd need to dedicate some time, gotta figure how intense it is first.

as far as the MSF course, been planning on it, but between work (company veichal) and life (family events, gf etc) and the fact it costs like 300, been putting it off. I have done the research on everything they teach you tho, and kinda practiced it that way. It is a requirment for getting the Mc license tho, so I do gotta do it soon.

If I were to do a finger compression test, wouldnt there be gas coming out of the spark plug hole, pointing to the fact that the carb aint giving it any? (or do I have this completely wrong)

Comment

The gas tank cap is likely holding a vacuum (its vent hole is blocked) making it hard for fuel to flow from tank down to carbs.
        raising the idle stop screw to get 2k idle, probably makes it difficult to cold start this thing as throttle plates need to be just about fully closed at cold start in order for enrichment system (aka "choke" ) to function properly. You need to clean carbs
        As eil said, best to catch up on all maintenance or you will have unreliable/dangerous transportation and get annoyed.
        Post your location, there might be a member nearby to offer hands-on advice.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Welp, don't know what to tell you. Unless you have a buddy who's an expert on vintage Suzuki GSes and accepts beer as legal tender, the bike's not going anywhere unless you're willing to spend some quality time in the garage with it first.

$300 sounds steep but you only have to do it once. What state are you in? My state (Michigan) offers state-subsidized courses that only end up costing $25 for a whole weekend's worth of training.
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Spending $1000 on bike but being unwilling to spend $300 on the MSF course doesn't make any sense to me. Please follow what everyone else is telling you - stop riding the bike until you have taken the MSF course and gone through all of the proper maintenance. Go to http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ and start reading up on the maintenance that needs to be done. Failure to do this will only lead to more issues.

Clean the carbs
            Perform a valve adjustment
            Synch the carbs
            Test your electrical
            Make sure your tires and brakes are good

Where are you located? Maybe one of us is close enough that we can help you perform the maintenance.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
            X