530 Chain Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

530 Chain Conversion

What are the benefits or any negatives with converting from a 630 to 530 chain and sprockets?

Well, once my kit gets installed, I'll give actual feel. As for benefits...weight reduction is one. Got mine from Z1.

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Loads, search the forums there are countless threads relating to this upgrade.
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

pay attention to "sprocket size"... different from "how many teeth".
        check many posts like Agemax says.
        I didn't....
        Changed my 79 1000L from 630 to 530... chain rubbed on swing arm.. had to buy sprockets twice.
        When I got it right, I realized I like the "old school" look better.. and wanted the 630 back.
        1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
        1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
        1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
        Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

Originally posted by Crank View Post
          What are the benefits or any negatives with converting from a 630 to 530 chain and sprockets?
          The 530 chains are much cheaper than unless you are recycling 630 chains.

Comment

I've been told the 530 is stronger.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
              that is very uninteresting.....
              GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

A modern 530 is probably stronger than a vintage 630.

In a nutshell, there are no downsides, other than you need new sprockets. (Which you would need anyway if your 630 chain is worn.)
                Charles
                --
                1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Wow....all this talk about 530 conversion. If ONE talks to the folks at Z1, there would be no issues with fit test. I'm just sayin'. And I remember being mentioned about tooth count....it depends on how you ride.

Ed
                  GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                  Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                    Wow....all this talk about 530 conversion. If ONE talks to the folks at Z1, there would be no issues with fit test. I'm just sayin'. And I remember being mentioned about tooth count....it depends on how you ride.

Ed
                    Would you rather a tire or sparkplug thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                      Originally posted by derwood View Post
                      that is very uninteresting.....
                      Why is that?

OP asked for benefits or negatives, that's a benefit.

Ill manners are uninteresting. My post wasn't uninteresting enough for you to ignore.
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        Would you rather a tire or sparkplug thread?
                        Finally!

I'm not much for debate...but you're messin' with me! (In a good way)

I just wish I could have completed the task back in NM. That darn front sprocket just wouldn't budge. No impact gun meant I was stuck with it but got MrBill's old 630 chain...which I still have.

I also talked to Rob from Z1 who was very helpful in this regard as well as the purchase of my V&H/4-1 Exhaust. Those were exciting times when I made all those purchases. Now I have different priorities.

Good chat!

Ed
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

When I was road racing in a production class(1982!), I ran a 530 chain kit and people thought I was cheating. I have a used 630 set-up that is in very good condition. 15/42. Will need a master link. It came off of a GS1100E. Will trade for most anything off of a GS1000ec or GS1100ez plus postage. I went with a 530. If you are looking to lighten things up, the chains from Z1 are very heavy duty, but a little heavy in weight compared to others. Z1 chains are also way less $$$
                          Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                          Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                          Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

Now....how do I go about getting the correct information on what size 530 to replace the 630 sprockets?

Comment

Go back and read post #9.

EDIT: OK, I see that it would be a LONG distance call for you.
                              Visit their website, instead.

Last edited by Steve; 08-14-2015, 07:11 AM.
                              sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X