Clutch drag while engine is off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch drag while engine is off?

So, I got a minute to roll my '85 550ES out of storage for a couple hours to get some work done.

As I went to roll it out I figured I would leave it in gear and just pull the clutch in until I got it outside.
    Unfortunately when i started to push, it would not move it just cycled the forks and stayed put.
    I leaned on it a bit more thinking it was the front brakes binding from my fiance sitting on the bike acting like she was riding and pumped the brakes a few times. Yeah, she has never ridden before-just rode double a couple times.

I threw a leg over and gave it a bit more oomph and it thumped over and I realized it was turning the engine over.
    Put it in neutral and rolled just fine, clutch engaged or not.

The question I have for you guys is if these bikes are supposed to have that much drag while it is not running or if my clutch cable is screwed?
    The second question is, if the clutch cable is screwed-who would you recommend to go through for a replacement other than OEM?

The clutch is fully maxed on both adjustment points, the clutch lever is still firm with about 1-2mm slack on the line. The cable moves with some resistance, but smooth like it should.

The reason I ask for other than OEM is that the local suzuki dealership told me that the clutch cable for this bike is indefinitely back ordered. I would like to get a couple rides in this summer without having to wait for the cable to maybe show up.

I will pull the cable and measure when i get a chance, but if someone also knew if there was a different model with a similar length I am all ears. Patience is not a virtue I possess, i am sure a few of you can concur.

I wouldn't change any parts till you've taken her for a shakedown ride. Might be nothing wrong with the clutch and it's cable, even though, "clutch is fully maxed on both adjustment points," doesn't sound promising.

Z1, Babbitts, dozens of other places you can get the stock cable online.
    Last edited by Rob S.; 08-08-2015, 06:46 PM.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

How long has it been in storage? The clutch plates may be stuck together.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Hey dork burger,
        When i bought the bike, i was told it was parked for a month for maintanence after it became sluggish. PO and his "mechanic" thought low compression, but they were wrong. PO brought it from texas and it was running rich due to the elevation(6,000ft in his town).

So it was tipped almost onto the stator cover to load into the rear of my suburban, bounced around in the rear of my suburban for almost 4 months, tipped and unloaded, and then been in and out of storage for 2-3 months.

I pulled the bike out a little bit ago and tried bump/push starting it 3 times, if they are stuck together that sure didn't break them loose, nor being put through roughly 200 clutch draws and engine start attempts and 2 5minute idle to 8k engine runs.

I will be taking it for a shakedown run after i re-disassemble the carbs and replace the leaking fuel cross over tube o-rings.

I just wanted to ensure that when its up and running the bike isn't going to turn run away if i put it in gear.
        The bike is going to be running with no mufflers due to a crash in funds. Hopefully it won't be ungodly loud and I wont need to re-jet after mufflers are remounted and new pipes welded up.

Comment

I remember the pics of it stuffed into the truck.....I dont know how long it takes for them to stick...Mine sat for 12 years and they were hopelessly stuck together. After I got mine running, I started it in gear in the street, and with the clutch pulled in goosed the throttle several times until they let loose. It was a bit hairy, especially on a wet road.....
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

If the clutch cable is at it's maximum adjustment on the lever, you should adjust it down by the engine to free it up some. But if there's only 1mm or so of play in the lever, then that isn't your issue.

As other said, the clutch plates are probably stuck together. Mine get stuck together pretty good after sitting for a few months. They unstick within a second or two in first gear when the lever pulled in and the engine running.

And your dealer is clueless. I'm not aware of any GS that doesn't have OEM clutch cables available. There's no such thing as "indefinitely back-ordered" Suzuki either still sells them or they do not. (With a few rare exceptions, Suzuki is remarkably good at keeping stock of wear items like rubber parts, bushings, and cables for all of their old bikes and manufacturing a new batch when they run out.)
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
              If the clutch cable is at it's maximum adjustment on the lever, you should adjust it down by the engine to free it up some. But if there's only 1mm or so of play in the lever, then that isn't your issue.
              Just wanted to point out my previous post, it is maxed at both ends. I.E. lever and motor. I appreciate the rest of the info you are giving me. The dealerships exact words were "the part is back ordered and we do not know if or when it will be back in stock" and then he went on to say "our only option is wait or try aftermarket?" I really do not want to wait and you guys have collectively probably tried every single cable option out there and wanted to see what everyone preferred.

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
              I remember the pics of it stuffed into the truck.....I don't know how long it takes for them to stick...Mine sat for 12 years and they were hopelessly stuck together. After I got mine running, I started it in gear in the street, and with the clutch pulled in goosed the throttle several times until they let loose. It was a bit hairy, especially on a wet road.....
              Wow, i can only imagine. That is exactly what i was afraid of happening. I didn't want to have a run away issue while inside the storage complex. It is fully fenced in and that could have ended very badly.
              I might put it on the work stand and get the back tire off the ground or try your route and have a fun but hairy ride.
              Last edited by Guest; 08-09-2015, 04:32 AM.

Comment

On my clutch cable, there's also an adjustment in the middle, under the tank, to lengthen or shorten the sheath. Not sure if yours does.

Apparently the employees at your dealership either don't know how to do their job or they just don't want your business because the clutch cable for your bike is most certainly available from any online Suzuki OEM parts vendor. Here's one: http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/...s3-ese-esf-esg Ref # 22:

HANDLEBAR (GS550ES3/ESE/ESF/ESG)
                CABLE, CLUTCH (FLAT)
                58200-43400 $16.17
                Charles
                --
                1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
                X