Stem seal replacement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stem seal replacement.

Genius here thought he knew how to replace stem seals. Turns out he doesn't. Screwed up three of them.
    I couldn't decide if they were fully home and tapped them with a long socket and ripped them. In retrospect I think hand pressure would have been sufficient but there was no positive click. I then measured cam lift at 8mm and tried to measure the distance from the retainers to the seal................. a right mess.
    Anyone have a copy of Stem Seals for Real Dummies.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

I used APE stem seals, smear of grease inside and push on with finger, twist slightly to make sure they are seated properly
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Yea you have to be a safe cracker to feel the positive snap when inserting those seals. They slip over the ridge very smoothly.

I think everyone has to ruin a few seals before they figure out how much pressure is adequate. It really isn't much.

Try inserting the seal gently and then pulling it back (gently) if the seal don't wanna come off you're done. Do the next seal at the same pressure.

No sockets. No tapping. Like I tell my kid. Chipmunk force, not gorilla force.

Comment

I have always used to a long socket and pressed them on by hand. You should make sure to oil them before trying to install them.

Comment

Now I'm confused. Use APE seals but not Gorilla force .................................
          I get it. Think safecracking chipmunk. Pink Panther in stripes.

Thank you for your replies.
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
          X