85 Gs1150 Incredibly hard clutch pull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 Gs1150 Incredibly hard clutch pull

I picked up a bone stock 85 GS1150 and noticed the clutch pull was extremely hard. After doing the carbs, valves, tires etc I put a new clutch cable on. The clutch pull is exactly the same as it was with the old one. I have an 80 GS1100 also and its nothing like the 1150 pull is. Any ideas what the problem could be ? At 71 I don't even have the hand strength to ride this thing like it is. Ive noticed that the clutch arm on the motor of the 1100 is about at the 28 minute position and the 1150 is about at the 24-25 minute position. This thing has been fighting me the whole way and I really appreciate all the help from you guys

I'd check to see if some PO didn't put in grossly oversized clutch springs, and if he did there will be a bunch of worn out parts inside making it even harder to pull.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

You can mix OE stock with Barratt HD clutch springs depending upon how much clutch pressure you need. Some options options are 6 OE, 3OE/3HD or 6 HD. I run 6 HD and it is pretty stiff.

Comment

The clutch pull arm needs to be in line with the clutch cover to have the correct leverage. If it is, the cable is worn & binding, kinked, has all 6 aftermarket springs, or a combination of all the above. Start with the arm first, then remove the cable & inspect it. If it is still stiff after that, pull the clutch cover & check which springs it has.
        Ray

Comment

He said it was a new cable.

Got a picture of the angle of the arm to the cable?

Cable routing can make a difference too, but probably not with a new cable unless you wrapped it around something tight.

Comment

Ill take a picture of the arm after I get back this afternoon. Problem is Im not too computer savy as far as posting it. I read later that the cable at the bottom should have no threads showing, the 1100 has none, the 1150 has about 3 which Ill correct. Ill also remove the arm and put it in line with the cases & see what it feels like then get back to you guys. Thank you for the help.
            Last edited by Guest; 08-31-2015, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Where the clutch operating spindle passes through the casing can get furred up and jammed with corrosion - worth checking and cleaning.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Cable is brand new unless Im misunderstanding what youre saying

Comment

Just take it all apart, look inside, fix anything you see messed up. Go with stock springs, stock plates, and fix the notches in the basket. Check the spindle as Gimly referred to, see if it's bearing isn't all stuck, free it up or replace it. Check into the perch and lever too, they have to be worn by now. Make sure the new cable doesn't go around any extra corners. Route it as shown in the Suzuki manual.

After that it will be a feather pull as it was originally.

Comment

1150's have a heavy clutch pull from the factory but not what your describing.
                    it is heavier than an 1100 though.

Comment

Put inside of clutch arm parallel with clutch cover per rapidray, & adjusted clutch. Its slightly better but side cover will have to come off for inspection & parts replacement. Going to ride it first & see if clutch plates are Ok or should I just put everything new in while I have it apart ? Just a matter of time before soldered on ball on cable breaks like it is. Again, thanks for your help. Grimly, I get what you mean now by the spindle

Comment

Working...
                      X