81 GS750 oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS750 oil leak

I have the infamous oil leak dripping over the center upside down cylinder head bolt. In an effort to do the repair to the top of the engine once, I did locate the leak starting point behind the #2 plug and running from the open fin area near the back of the motor.
    The bike has not been on the road after a re-gasket job , so nothing to blow the oil around yet.

I ordered a cam cover gasket. I see the recommendation to get the O-rings (fiche #17 for 2) on the other posts.

What about the 6 head stud nut gaskets (fiche #13)?

I have eliminated the cam chain tensioner and tach drive, all dry, after cleaning leaking oil completely off the motor. Quite confident in the location.
    Last edited by letchworth rider; 09-03-2015, 08:36 PM. Reason: grammer

Originally posted by letchworth rider View Post
    I have the infamous oil leak dripping over the center upside down cylinder head bolt. In an effort to do the repair to the top of the engine once, I did locate the leak starting point behind the #2 plug and running from the open fin area near the back of the motor.
    The bike has not been on the road after a re-gasket job , so nothing to blow the oil around yet.

I ordered a cam cover gasket. I see the recommendation to get the O-rings (fiche #17 for 2) on the other posts.

What about the 6 head stud nut gaskets (fiche #13)?

I have eliminated the cam chain tensioner and tach drive, all dry, after cleaning leaking oil completely off the motor. Quite confident in the location.
    The only leak I've ever had on my 750 was the tech drive. Once I installed a new seal and oring, all was fixed.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

The cam cover oil leak is repaired with new gasket.
      The leak is now at the center of the head, between the exhaust pipes, where the cam chain travels. Coming through the new head gasket (aftermarket).
      Any way of sealing this without replacing the head gasket again? Is there a problem with the head in this area?
      I have a knowledgeable shop nearby, states he sees a lot of these leak in this area.

Also, can the head gasket be replaced wit the motor in the frame?
      Last edited by letchworth rider; 11-03-2015, 07:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Finally tore down today. No cracks, the surfaces check flat within specs.The head gasket is still the first choice.The only other possibility would be the orings, which were replaced.
        Have a NOS Suzuki head gasket. Surfaces cleaned up. Ready to go back together.

Comment

Head on and torqued.
          Interesting observation, Suzuki head gasket had a sealer applied all around the cam chain area, top and bottom, aftermarket gasket did not.

Yes, use the Suzuki gasket.

Comment

Problem solved!

Comment

Head on and torqued.
              Interesting observation, Suzuki head gasket had a sealer applied all around the cam chain area, top and bottom, aftermarket gasket did not.

Yes, use the Suzuki gasket.

Problem solved!
              Deffo OEM gaskets for the base and head. All the others are less critical and can be easily replaced, but it's a pita to rip it apart again when the base or head leaks.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
              X