No announcement yet.

Field-repairing a broken clutch cable: Cable ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM Suzuki cable would be changed once today then last 25 years with occasional lube.

Comment

Replace that bent piece of crap in the picture too, or at least bend it straight again.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Don't waste your money on a Motion Pro, get a factory one. Youll need one anyway might as well get it first. I know someone is going to tell me they've never had a problem with a Motion Pro but I have

Comment

I recommend carrying one of these small kits in your tailpiece tool cubby (assuming the 550 has one)
          Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Bike It Motorcycle Motorbike Emergency Cable Repair Kit CRK009 Gift at the best online prices at eBay! Free delivery for many products!
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Hey everybody; thanks a bunch for your tips, been a while. These parts are now repaired; some things I learned:

1. When I got the replacement part, I realized that the PO sold me the machine with a repaired clutch cable; while the sleeve was stock, the stranded wire wasn't. T'was was an emergency cable as well.
            2. My emergency cable failed while waiting for the replacement part. I had to do did another field repair nearby a Vespa scooter shop. Classic vespa clutch wires are compatible and much beefier than the usual emergency wires. I think I could've ridden for years with that rig
            3. I ordered the replacement clutch cable from wemoto. I'm not sure wether I've selected the wrong model, or they mis-picked from the shelf; but the replacement was about 10cm longer than the original. While mounting/routing feels a bit awkward; there is no chafing nor squeezing, and there is no clutch dis-/engagement when steering fully.
            4. The replacement for the bent lever thing, "screw assy", was ordered from CMSNL. Again, not sure wether I got the wrong model, or the part was assembled incorrectly: There's a greasing nipple in the engine cover, intended to line up with a hole in the assembly to lubricate the "worm drive". Didn't really line up, so I took apart the assembly and greased it up very generously. Judging from the state of affairs the rest was in, I don't expect the original part to have been re-greased at all; but the worm drive was in very good condition when I inspected it.

Unfortunately no pictures, as I only had my crappy phone with me.
            #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
            #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
            #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
            #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Wiper lamps ( oh...switzerland ) but what is a wiper lamp?

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                I recommend carrying one of these small kits in your tailpiece tool cubby (assuming the 550 has one)
                http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221839424800
                Or maintain the cable occasionally and never break one again.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by 520eek View Post
                  Wiper lamps ( oh...switzerland ) but what is a wiper lamp?
                  Typo/Autocorrect; winker, i.e. indicator / turn signal / blinker / flasher / whatever they're called in your country
                  #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                  #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                  #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                  #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    Or maintain the cable occasionally and never break one again.
                    When Mr Fujimoto assembled that cable on a Friday afternoon, or a Monday morning, did he have good day? I'd like to know, so that I may be assured the end will never fatigue off through faulty manufacturing.
                    Belt and braces; nothing wrong with principle of carrying some bits - I'm having a tin of cable spares on every bike from now on.
                    Last edited by Grimly; 12-15-2015, 09:27 PM.
                    ---- Dave
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

When Mr Fujimoto assembled that cable on a Friday afternoon, or a Monday morning, did he have good day? I'd like to know, so that I may be assured the end will never fatigue off through faulty manufacturing.
                      Belt and braces; nothing wrong with principle of carrying some bits - I'm having a tin of cable spares on every bike from now on.
                      My cables are pretty new, but just for peace of mind I'm looking at this repair kit. https://www.ebay.com/itm/144403805692 What do you think?

I've never repaired a cable, but have had them snap, fortunately close to home. I don't want to carry a bunch of spares and this seems pretty versatile.
                      Roger

Current rides
                      1983 GS 850G
                      2003 FJR 1300A
                      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post

My cables are pretty new, but just for peace of mind I'm looking at this repair kit. https://www.ebay.com/itm/144403805692 What do you think?

I've never repaired a cable, but have had them snap, fortunately close to home. I don't want to carry a bunch of spares and this seems pretty versatile.
                        That's what I've got. It came in a tin, so doesn't take up any room worth mentioning. If you have space for a toolkit (and every bike used to, especially our vintage), you can finagle the tin in, too.
                        ---- Dave

Comment

I replaced the throttle and clutch cables last year with new OEM just because they were 40 years old but not frayed at all. The old ones live in the bottom of my tank bag along with some lengths of fuel line and vacuum line. Just in case.
                          Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                            I replaced the throttle and clutch cables last year with new OEM just because they were 40 years old but not frayed at all. The old ones live in the bottom of my tank bag along with some lengths of fuel line and vacuum line. Just in case.
                            And guess what, as soon as you pack a spare they never break again
                            I broke a clutch cable on a Z650 forty years ago, a hundred miles to run in the rain.
                            It was all open road so it wasn't any bother, more of a nuisance.
                            Bike was less than two years old with about twenty thousand on the clock.
                            Stopped for a coffee and the shop had a note on the door, No Bikers Served.
                            Not being in the mood for that carry on, I went in.
                            This kid about fifteen, bravely tried to enforce the company line.
                            I told him that it was okay. I was an astronaut and had just landed out back.
                            Her seemed happy enough with that and the astronaut with his white Shoei S-12 got served
                            97 R1100R
                            Previous
                            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

That's what I've got. It came in a tin, so doesn't take up any room worth mentioning. If you have space for a toolkit (and every bike used to, especially our vintage), you can finagle the tin in, too.
                              Thank you. I asked because the one you linked to a while back has slightly different fittings than this one. Since I've never repaired a cable I wasn't sure if one style was more desireable than the other.

I've carried spares just in case, but the KLR snapped one a few blocks from home. It shifted just fine without the clutch as well, though I may have made a couple quick turns to avoid stopping. Fortunately it just coasted into my garage.

On another note, having a repair kit as opposed to GS cables could potentially help out a fellow rider who's in a real bind.
                              Roger

Current rides
                              1983 GS 850G
                              2003 FJR 1300A
                              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Working...
                              X