Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another top end rebuild thread

Hi all,

You can tell spring is coming by all the top-end threads, everyone trying to get things buttoned up for the season. Figured I would throw mine up as well to benefit from the hive.

Never been into this motor this deep before, so I am learning as we go along. Here is what we have.

1983 GS1100ES. About 50k miles. Valve stem seals had some leakage as evidenced by some smoke on decel, so I figured now was as good a time as any to do a top end refresh. The plan is as follows:

1150 intake valves back-cut and seats cut. Mild port on the head, work is in progress as I type.

1150 cams, degreed. NEVER done this before, so I will need some guidance here.

Hone cylinders and new rings.

Fresh base and head gaskets, OEM. On this topic: any other o-rings or anything go in there other than the big cylinder o-rings in the base? I didn't see anything else come out, and can't see anything else on the fische/manual, but you never know, I miss things sometimes.

New cam chain guides, front and rear. the rear was pretty worn, so I figured, as long as I'm in there.....

New stator, the old one works fine, but a new one will match my sh-775 reg/rec better .

Thinking about dropping the oil pan to clean any crud out, it doesn't leak, but I figure new gaskets all around probably not a bad idea.

Can anyone think of anything I am missing, or anything else I should do as long as I have gone this far? And forget about a big bore, my wife would kill me if she knew how much this was costing already.

Thanks in advance, I should be starting reassembly soon-ish, I will try to update and maybe even post some photos if I can get a chance!!

Greg
    1983 GS 1100 ESD

oh, also going to put some new plug caps and wires on the coils, one of the caps just fell off the wire, showed corrosion at the end, surprised it even fired the plug like it was....
    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

You will need some specific tools to degree the cams. Feel free to call me at 714,356.784five if you need help.
      Ray.

Comment

thanks ray! I have a dial indicator, degree wheel, going to cob up a positive stop from a spark plug and some all-thread. I have seen/read a few tutorials, but any leads on a really comprehensive walk thru of the process would be greatly appreciated!
        1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Another question I will have will be regarding jetting changes with regards to head work and the 1150 cam. Running bs36 carbs from the 1150 now, honestly not sure what jets are in them other than to say that it ran well.
          1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Might be a good time to replace the seals inside the cam chain tensioner (unless you are going with a mechanical).
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

already done. I figure the auto tensioner has worked pretty well so far, why change now? not going with any extreme lift or anything, so I think it will be fine, for another couple dozen thousand miles. Till the bigbore in 2020, heh.
              1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
                thanks ray! I have a dial indicator, degree wheel, going to cob up a positive stop from a spark plug and some all-thread. I have seen/read a few tutorials, but any leads on a really comprehensive walk thru of the process would be greatly appreciated!
                I have a photocopy of an article written years ago by Kevin Cameron. It's called "Secrets of the Ancient Cam Timers" as I recall. I basically taught myself how to do it using that.

Comment

I SWEAR by manual cam chain tensioners, because I've never had or seen one fail! Automatic tensioners can back out under deceleration from high RPMs. I HAVE seen that & had to replace bent valves in people's engines! For 45 bucks, they are CHEAP insurance!
                  Ray.
                  Last edited by rapidray; 04-15-2016, 07:09 PM.

Comment

food for thought, ray, for sure. Skowinski, if you felt like scanning that and emailing to me, I wouldn't be sad...just saying. Also, Ray, if you see this I "might" need something else from you, I will call if it turns out I do.....

on another note, kicking myself for being such a wuss about the cold garage and not doing this during the winter, 70 degrees and perfect this weekend....
                    Last edited by greg78gs750; 04-15-2016, 06:18 PM.
                    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

I'll try to get out in the garage tomorrow and see if I can copy that article.

edit: I made a PDF file of the old Kevin Cameron article I mentioned, happy to send it to anyone who wants it.
                      Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2016, 02:13 PM.

Comment

sure would appreciate a copy!!!
                        dwbrown58@gmail.com

Comment

I will forward it to you when i get a chance!!

greg
                          1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Well, in trying to remove the plug wires from my stock coils last night, I might have buggered them up. So I'm considering getting some dyna coils, but i have my concerns. Plenty of threads about them going bad in low miles.

Couple of affirmations needed:

Green (3 ohm) coils, correct?
                            Solid wire
                            Resistor caps, i will use stock ngk, I like it to look stock
                            Anything else needed to hook these up? sounds like they bolt right in, no adaptation required?

thanks!
                            1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Green coils, yes, they are the correct 3.0 ohms. Get the plug wires too. No issues with durability & they are better coils than stock.
                              Ray.

Comment

Working...
                              X