Valve Cover Gasket Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Cover Gasket Advice

Howdy - I need to get new valve cover and breather cover gaskets. Z1 has the valve cover gasket for less than half the price of the OEM. I'm cheap and need to be talked into buying the more expensive one - especially if it's better. What should I do? Thanks!

z1. ....
    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

If you REALLY want to spend more money, ... get two from Z1.

Those are the ones that I use (for whatever that is worth), and have had no problems with them.

Comment

Part# 11173-45004-H17 Desc GASKET,CYL HD C -SU
        *supersedes 11173-45002 11173-45003 11173-45004

Get a real OEM Suzuki gasket. The material that Suzuki uses is vastly superior compared to most aftermarket gaskets.

The first link below is the latest part number. There are older older part number gaskets that will work as well though.

General forum wisdom has us using grease on the gasket to keep it from sticking, that way you can reuse the gasket during your normal valve adjustment checks.

Last edited by Nessism; 04-12-2016, 05:43 PM.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I just got mine from suzuki and I used aircraft grade gasket sealer from permitex and 400 miles still no leakes and the aircraft grade sealer is a non hardening sealer so I can reuse the gasket without tearing if need be.

Comment

OEM VC gasket for street bikes or you'll be sorry

Comment

On an 8-valve, I would (and do) got with a good-quality aftermarket valve cover gasket. Z1 should be fine. Mine leaks a little but the whole bike is kinda fugly so I don't care.

Engines with the tach gear in the valve cover should always use OEM gaskets, though, because the thickness is critical in that application.
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
                Engines with the tach gear in the valve cover should always use OEM gaskets, though, because the thickness is critical in that application.
                Yes, +1 on that. I had to replace the exhaust cam on my son's 1100 due to that issue, ground the worm gear off the cam because the clearance was just a bit less with the aftermarket VC gasket. Nothing but OEM for me.
                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

I ordered the OEM. I don't need to create any more problems. Thanks for your help everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by SlipperyPete View Post
                    I ordered the OEM. I don't need to create any more problems. Thanks for your help everyone!
                    No brainer...

Comment

Dont mean to hijack but what about "real gaskets" silicone gaskets?

They were linked to via BassCliffs site. He used them and they cost as much as OEM so I thought I would try that. I had been doing the grease/oil method but after so many pulls it seemed I always ended up replacing the gasket, just tore both the valve cover and the breather again.

Anyways everyones comments on the tach drive makes me second guess. They actually say this on the real gasket site

IF THE SUZUKI HAS A TACH DRIVE IN THE VALVE COVER, DO NOT USE A SILICONE VALVE COVER GASKET.

But then they offer the GS 750 77-79 which I thought were all mechanical tach drive so why even offer them if you should not use it?

Comment

those 750's have the tach drive in the head. i used a realgasket on my 78 750 with no issues, others will disagree and insist on oem. the torque values with the realgasket are VERY low, like fingertight plus a half turn or something. like anything, opinions abound.
                        1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

I guess I misunderstood tach drive in the head and valve cover to be the same thing. You mean the tach drive itself is housed with the worm gear on the cable side and everything in the valve cover itself? I can see how gasket thickness would be an issue then.

I thought the problem was gasket thickness led to the cover rubbing on the tach drive gear in the thru head configuration.

Thanks for the info. I am glad that wasn't 50$ down the drain for the valve cover, breather, and stator cover.

Comment

Working...
                          X