Clutch rack release loose, no tension in lever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch rack release loose, no tension in lever

Hello all, 1983 GS650GL just replaced clutch plates which were mirror smooth. rack release is incredibly loose. even after bolting everything up, and making sure the teeth line up, there's still no tension in the lever. turning the clutch arm, i can hear the rack release moving, but it doesn't seem to be doing much. I put everything back exactly the way I took it out, but I can't figure this thing out AT ALL. I just want to close this up and start riding again, but i'm at a loss of what to do. Thanks in advance guys.
    Attached Files

Your pic doesn't show the clutch springs installed... I'm assuming they are.
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

If you're talking about the thing you're holding (release rack #21) being loose, then it is supposed to be. It doesn't take up any tension until the pinion (#25) pulls it out

With the clutch cover on, you need to take off the clutch release arm (#28) and turn the pinion until it has tension. Then re-install the release arm so it is about parallel with the cover.
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

OHHHHHH thank you! this thing has been driving me crazy. I've torn it apart so many times thinking maybe I forgot something. So should I turn the pinion so the release arm is pushed in all the way or out, towards the clutch cover then reinstall the release arm?

After that's done I can button up the whole thing, replace the oil, and start it up?

Comment

Tension the pinion in the direction that the clutch cable will pull the release arm. You can do this with the cover buttoned up.
          Current:
          Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
          VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)

Comment

[QUOTE=hillsy;2288650]Tension the pinion in the direction that the clutch cable will pull the release arm. You can do this with the cover buttoned up.[/QUOTE

Okay, I'll try it tonight and let you know how it goes. I have to clean up the threads on the clutch arm anyway. This thing is so old, i've snapped off a couple bolts already, and trying to tighten the arm again has stripped the threads out of it

Comment

If you have no luck with the threads you might be able to drill them out and run a nut and bolt all the way through it. Depends on the shape / orientation of the exit hole though.
              Current:

Past:

Comment

I got that part attached again temporarily. i think i need a new clutch arm. i closed it up, filled it back up with oil and started it. really rough starting, but it's running. the clutch lever is still loose as hell and won't spring back. i've unscrewed the set screw down on the clutch arm itself and made sure it was correctly aligned with the engine. making sure it was turned the right way. holding the clutch lever in does nothing but i can kick it from neutral to 1st and then into second. i was hoping that would disengage the clutch? i'm guessing that's what's going on here. clutch plates are stuck together. any ideas???? about ready to roll this thing off a cliff

UPDATE: actually got it to work! for about 2 pulls of the clutch lever and then something "snapped". that's the best way i can describe it. cable is fine. hoping that it's just the clutch arm that jumped a tooth or something. my temporary fix seems to be pulling the two pieces apart. i'm hoping that's it and it wasn't a clutch spring bolt popping....
                Last edited by Guest; 05-05-2016, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X