clutch basket notches - how to file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch basket notches - how to file?

clutch basket notches (pic below) - how to file?

dremel?

flat file? - if file > move file along the long side or short side?

remove the steel ring for easier access - if so - how?

how much concern of flat and perpendicular is necessary?

how about putting a little radius on the fiber ring tab edges so edges are less likely to gouge the tabs again?

1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
    1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
    1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

bump
    (and 10 more characters)
    1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
    1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
    1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

You want to take the basket out and clamp it in a vise/vice.

Then the "how to file" question becomes obvious.
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post

Then the "how to file" question becomes obvious.
        No dremel! A flat file the width of the surface and slow and easy. Measure the width of the slots and make sure they all match. Very artsy fartsy. Keep your file clean and don't back draw.

I just noticed your last question. No radius anywhere.
        Last edited by AMK; 06-03-2016, 09:22 AM.
        Alan

sigpic
        Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
        Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
        Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
        Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by AMK View Post
          I just noticed your last question. No radius anywhere.
          So what would be the issue with a little rounding off the edges on the fiber disks? The flat side would still engaged nicely with the basket and hopefully the sharp edges would be less likely to Nick the basket again.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Vanis View Post
            So what would be the issue with a little rounding off the edges on the fiber disks? The flat side would still engaged nicely with the basket and hopefully the sharp edges would be less likely to Nick the basket again.
            I would agree with a slight edge break on the fibers, .005 to .01" perhaps. But a radius would reduce the contact surface and tend to form in.
            I think I missed the word "little" in the op in which case I agree.
            Alan

sigpic
            Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Andrew, did you get that basket filed?
              Alan

sigpic
              Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

not yet. out of town to Thrs.

I've been thinking (one I've been thinking I really don't want to loosen the large nut but it must be done.) ......but about filing, I've been thinking of covering one side of the file with plastic of some sort then I can slide it on the back side of the opposing notch to keep things flat and straight.

Comment

You really need to take out the basket. Apart from the obvious accessibility issues with trying to file it installed, you'll more than likely leave a stack of filings inside your crankcase.

It's pretty easy to do with an air / rattle gun (or even a battery operated one). If you put all the clutch plates back in (without the cover / springs) this will "hold" the centre hub in place while you rattle the nut off. Obviously you'll need to bend the nut locking tang flat first.
                  Current:
                  Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                  VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                    If you put all the clutch plates back in (without the cover / springs) this will "hold" the centre hub in place while you rattle the nut off.
                    Will that work with no engine compression and on center stand? (go the head off)

Comment

Will that work with no engine compression and on center stand? (go the head off)
                      Yes - you need to hold the centre hub / press down on the plates while you are doing this but having the plates in does most of the work.
                      Current:

Past:

Comment

I've been thinking of covering one side of the file with plastic of some sort then I can slide it on the back side of the opposing notch to keep things flat and straight.
                        I wanted to suggest that you use box tape or masking tape. It's a very good idea to hold you square and even. I totally agree with hillsy that you need to do it off the machine and in a vise.
                        Alan

sigpic
                        Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Working...
                        X