Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trick to reinstall starter gear (between starter and starter clutch)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trick to reinstall starter gear (between starter and starter clutch)

What's the trick to installing the gear between the starter gear and the starter clutch? You know, the one with the small gear for the starter and the bigger gear for the starter clutch? I am unable to line up the hole or get the washer that sits behind the gear onto the pin that holds everything aligned and together (am I explaining this right?) How does one do this? Thanks.
    1984 GS1150ES (finally arrived, more to come...)
    1989 Dodge Dakota (the perfect Oregon work truck)
    1980 Sears "Free Spirit" bicycle (original patina and everything!)
    1978 "The Executive" RV (vintage like its owner)

How can I be in two places at once when i'm not anywhere at all?

Can I double park in a parallel universe?

I don't recall ever having a problem. It just slides on. Maybe you should remove the starter.
    That or maybe you need to put the bike in gear and push it forward to bump the starter clutch gear to move a tiny bit. (If that even moves like that)
    Like I said, I've never had a problem. The washers and mid gear seem to slip right on.
    Remove the starter is my guess.

Comment

A little grease for the washers?

Comment

You're not doing it right. Put the gears loosely in where it goes, hold it there without the shaft. Then slide the shaft through the gears, then last thing put the little washer on.
        It's easy once you figure it out.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by oregonjake View Post
          What's the trick to installing the gear between the starter gear and the starter clutch? You know, the one with the small gear for the starter and the bigger gear for the starter clutch?
          Actually you have it backwards, the big gear for the starter, the small gear goes to the starter clutch. The whole thing is a reduction gear.

Comment

Two pictures to help.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              You're not doing it right. Put the gears loosely in where it goes, hold it there without the shaft. Then slide the shaft through the gears, then last thing put the little washer on.
              It's easy once you figure it out.
              I cannot line up the hole in the midgear with the hole in the crankcase. Therein lies my problem. If they lined up it would be easy. I guess I'm just not seeing how to line them up.

Comment

Are you sure all three of the pieces came off the same size engine?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  Are you sure all three of the pieces came off the same size engine?
                  Ya, something doesn't look right. Gears should be meshing better. Never had a problem with reassembly using the correct parts.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                  1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                  1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Is this a different starter motor? If so, does it have different number of teeth than original?
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hard to tell from these pics, but are the teeth on the starter all smushed up and is that preventing the gears from meshing correctly??

Comment

It does look like the starter gear is the problem. Doesn't look like those teeth are going to mesh. Pitch looks to small on the starter gear.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Got it! I guess the pictures looked a little funny because the gearset was just being held in place with my fingers, it was not installed as you can see, the pin was not installed. I managed to get the starter clutch to turn just enough so the hole lined up by turning the rotor using the nut holding it on the end of the crank, thus relieving the pressure from the starter clutch enough to move it less than 1/4 inch. That was enough for everything to line up.

Whew! Thanks all for the quick response, I can always count on you to come through when needed. Thanks a bunch!

Comment

Funny how picture angles can change your prospective of things.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                            X