GS1100G Clutch issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100G Clutch issues.

Hi, new to the forum.I'm based near Cambridge in England and have to admit to not owning a GS.I'm repairing a GS1100G motor for a friend after one of his other mates "helped" him remove it and start to strip it.He said it was making a tapping noise so i removed the cam cover and checked the top end which is in great nick,cam lobes,bearing surfaces and cam chain guides etc all good.I never got to hear the noise before they removed the motor and i explained that the bottom end is pretty bullet proof.The clutch cover was already off when i got it so i removed the clutch to examine it.The first problem is that the wire retainer was broken and had worked its way between the pressure plate and friction plate and had stripped all the friction material off the back of that plate.The second thing is the heavier 3 of the 6 springs on the back of the basket are all loose.So i have two questions:
    Q1 what retains the ends of the wire? Looks like its still available,but despite having the genuine Suzuki manual it isn't clear what the ends locate on.I know it goes into the drum (hub sleeve) but what keeps it there?
    Q2 The clutch basket ( gear,primary driven) is still listed at £269 here but are there any alternatives/modifications to cure the loose spring problem?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Cheers,Colin.
Working...
X