Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rockers from an 80,000 miles GSX750ES 1985 : Good or bad ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rockers from an 80,000 miles GSX750ES 1985 : Good or bad ?

I’m restoring a GSX750ES that has 80,000 miles on it. I replaced every single part on the bike that it is either made of rubber or may suffer from wear. That includes pistons, all 32 head springs, 16 valves and 16 valve guides.
    I now wonder about the rockers. They seem to have wear but it looks shallow when viewed from the side. They are not cheap and prices for each of the 8 needed is about 40$.
    Here are high resolution pictures of the 8 rockers. Each one has a front and side picture.
    I would like to have your opinion …

Replace them. I might have 4 good ones. I will look tomorrow.
    Ray.

Comment

Ray,
      What exactly do you see in the rockers that makes them unusable. One could argue that the profile is still curvy and besides a shallow groove in the middle, they're OK.
      In other words, how would a descent used rocker would look like ?

Comment

There is wear on your rockers where the rough areas are in the pictures, plus, the indent in the rocker faces are from the metal softening & it is only a matter of time before the chrome plating on the rocker faces gives way because of this. Call me at 714,356.784five if you need to.
        Ray.

Comment

OK Ray.
          8 new rockers on the way.
          There goes another 400$ ...
          Last edited by Guest; 06-13-2016, 10:25 AM.

Comment

As the rockers started to arrive, I noticed that some of them have what seems to be a lubrication notch and some do not. Both have the same part #.
            In fact there are bikes that cary both types mixed together as seen in this ebay link:

I think the one with the notch are actually older NOS.
            Is that OK to have both ? Which is better ?

Comment

You do NOT want the ones with the grooves!!!
              Ray.

Comment

Yep. I returned the ones with the groove and purchased the other ones instead.

Comment

Working...
                X