Clutch slip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch slip

Hi guys started getting a bit of slip so drained oil and pulled engine side cover off, thing is the drive plates are within limits but the steel driven plates are 2mm minimum is 2.4mm question is should I replace both?
    also the last driven plate is it held in position by a clip?
    thanks in advance.
    1981 GS1000g

Not sure which are "drive" and which are "driven", but how did you manage to wear the steels down? And leave the fibers "within limits"?

I think the steels are the more-expensive ones, so it might not be that much more to do the fibers, too, depending on how much "within limits" they are.

While you are in there, get six new OEM springs. Don't bother with "heavy-duty" springs, the stock ones work just fine.

Oh, for the record: if you put the bike on the side stand, you can pull the clutch cover without draining the oil.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the reply Steve I have just checked the manual and there is no wear limit for the steel plates just a distortion limit in my rush to get posting I must have made a mistake.
      anyway have checked the distortion and am on the minimum so have bit the bullet and ordered both fibre and steel, the springs were well within the limits given so will leave them.
      thanks for the tip re side stand
      1981 GS1000g

Comment

I would tend to order new spring first. On the GS1100E's we alternate HD springs with the OEM springs to increase plate pressure. Just fresh OE springs would probably be noticeable.

Comment

Yes, the 1100E can benefit from a few heavier springs, but the shafties do just fine with all stock springs.

I have experienced this with 650, 850, 1000 and 1100 shafties, they all have done very well.

The three smaller bikes are all right here, too. (pictured in my sig links)

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I replaced the springs and friction plates in my 82 GS1100G. The springs were the 1st level more stiff, about 10%.
            I think I polluted the friction plates by using car oil, even though it was not rated energy efficient.
            Only use motorcycle oil from then on.
            Not gonna listen to any self made “expert” argument for using Rotella or whatever.
            Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 06-21-2016, 06:58 PM.
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
            X