Shifting Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifting Issues

1982 GS1100EZ. For a month or two it's been a little tough getting into 2nd from first. NOW, it's tough to impossible to shift up or down into almost any gear most of the time. It seems to be easier if I give the shifter it a little nudge up before shifting. Is it some sort of return spring, and if so, is it accesible without major surgery, (ie engine removal and case splitting)?
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Cable adjustment or cable is stretched out
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Another vote for cable.
      Monday I came to a stoplight and pulled in the clutch lever. I felt a slight "pop" and at the next light I noticed the bike was pulling and hard to shift.
      I think I'm hanging on by a few stretched threads so I went home, parked it and ordered a new cable.
      Alan

sigpic
      Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
      Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
      Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
      Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by AMK View Post
        Another vote for cable.
        Monday I came to a stoplight and pulled in the clutch lever. I felt a slight "pop" and at the next light I noticed the bike was pulling and hard to shift.
        I think I'm hanging on by a few stretched threads so I went home, parked it and ordered a new cable.
        Funny. That just happened to me. Bike worked great until a couple days ago. Noticed that shifts were getting harder as the ride went on. Stopped at a gas station and tried to adjust the clutch cable. Found that half the metal strands at the lever were cut. No adjustment left. Limped it to work and then home by shifting with no clutch as much as possible. New OEM cable is on the way. Check your cables and if everything looks good then adjust as necessary. I'd order a spare OEM cable while you have time.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
          Funny. That just happened to me. Bike worked great until a couple days ago. Noticed that shifts were getting harder as the ride went on. Stopped at a gas station and tried to adjust the clutch cable. Found that half the metal strands at the lever were cut. No adjustment left. Limped it to work and then home by shifting with no clutch as much as possible. New OEM cable is on the way. Check your cables and if everything looks good then adjust as necessary. I'd order a spare OEM cable while you have time.
          I've had this bike for a couple of months. I rode it home about 40 miles and the clutch felt overly tight.
          I checked the endplay and there was none. I'm surprised I had no slippage.
          Adjusted the endplay and it was after the "pop" I realized the clutch wasn't fully disengaging. I'm assuming the po tried to adjust a stretched cable at the cost of endplay.
          An extra cable is a great idea.

Happy 50th by the way, JTGS850GL.
          Last edited by AMK; 06-28-2016, 11:23 AM.
          Alan

sigpic
          Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by mcycle-nut View Post
            1982 GS1100EZ. For a month or two it's been a little tough getting into 2nd from first. NOW, it's tough to impossible to shift up or down into almost any gear most of the time.
            Since we are talking about 'any gear, most of the time' I assume this is while you are rolling? Are you shifting with or without using the clutch?

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            Cable adjustment or cable is stretched out
            Not if he is not using the clutch once rolling. I almost never use the clutch to shift except for the 1-2 shift while puttering in traffic and 2-1 to make jumping neutral easier and smoother. The rest of the time there is no need for it.

Mark
            1982 GS1100E
            1998 ZX-6R
            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

All these thoughts about the clutch, but is it hard to shift when you don't use the clutch? If it is it's not a clutch issue.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

20160628_170620.jpg
                This is what I found.
                Alan

sigpic
                Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Yep, looks just like my 850 did. Replace the cable, lube it up and go for a ride.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                  1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                  1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post

Not if he is not using the clutch once rolling. I almost never use the clutch to shift except for the 1-2 shift while puttering in traffic and 2-1 to make jumping neutral easier and smoother. The rest of the time there is no need for it.

Mark
                    This is always a difficult concept to grasp.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      All these thoughts about the clutch, but is it hard to shift when you don't use the clutch? If it is it's not a clutch issue.
                      I agree, it's not the clutch or cable, it works and looks fine. Yes, it's hard to shift if I don't use the clutch as well. As I said before, it seems as if there is a shifter return spring not working, (ie. broken), as the shifter needs a bit of a nudge up before shifting, as if I'm putting it into the correct position before shifting. I was just wondering if anybody else has had an experience like this and can just say, "Easy fix, just pull off the clutch cover and replace your broken spring" or something like that, rather than, "oh-oh, you're screwed. You have to pull the motor and split the cases to fix that." Guess I'll just pull the clutch cover and see what's up.
                      Kevin

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,

Comment

Did you drop the bike on the left side, hit the shift lever or anything that could have bent the shift shaft or perhaps a shift fork? Did some hamfooted moron ride your bike who might have kicked the shifter Harely style? Did you change the clutch cover gasket, or have the cover off to do anything to the clutch?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          Did you drop the bike on the left side, hit the shift lever or anything that could have bent the shift shaft or perhaps a shift fork? Did some hamfooted moron ride your bike who might have kicked the shifter Harely style? Did you change the clutch cover gasket, or have the cover off to do anything to the clutch?
                          No, no, and my wife is hardly a hamfooted moron , and not since 2 years ago when I rebuilt the clutch basket and put in a new clutch. It has worked fine since. Still does, (clutch). It's the shifter mechanism that's hooee.
                          Kevin

Comment

So what have we found? Saw that you posted, wondering what you found when you took a look at the clutch yesterday.
                            81 gs 1100 E One owner,Me.

Comment

Originally posted by yank View Post
                              So what have we found? Saw that you posted, wondering what you found when you took a look at the clutch yesterday.
                              I hadn't taken it apart yet, was going to get to it on the weekend. It turns out I am a clown. The issue was with the shifter pivot. On the 1100s of that era, the shifter is on a pivot and a linkage goes to the the shifter shaft. I had a brilliant idea to check the pivot, sure as sh*t, it was dry and red. I cleaned it up and greased it, works like a hot damn! THINK SIMPLE! It usually is something minor, I mean there was no grinding, clunking, popping in or out of gear, it just was a b*tch to shift! Thank you all for your input.
                              Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X