81 GS750E Really hard pull clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS750E Really hard pull clutch

When I got this bike the clutch cable was almost broken but I don't remember it being hard to pull. Although I didn't pull it that much getting the bike to run first few times. I have since replaced the clutch cable with a new aftermarket, following the same cable routing and removed the clutch cover to replace the clutch cover gasket. After I got it all together I notice the clutch is really hard to pull. Lever, perch and cable have all been lubed.

Now my question. Not knowing better when I pulled the clutch cover I removed the clevis pin from the clutch actuator arm but didn't make note of it's position. I don't know why but I didn't. Now that spline shaft has a screw on the bottom and that engages the clutch release rack. My question, is it possible I didn't index that thing correctly when I put it together? The FSM makes no mention of indexing only that the screw portion engage the rack, which it does. The position of that arm looks good in that the cable pulls straight on and the cable was easy to adjust for free play.

I guess I can pull that cover again and make sure nothing is binding but the clutch action, on riding, seems normal with no hint of grabbing or slipping and free play is good. It is just godzilla hard to pull. My 33 year old son even mentioned that after a 2 mile ride today that his left hand hurt.

Any thought?
    Last edited by Guest; 08-01-2016, 11:23 AM.

The actuator arm should be at a bit below 90 degrees to the cable for the widest span / easiest pull.
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

That is about where I have it. I've tried 3 different positions of that arm. The one where the cable end looks most normal, I mean where the long threaded part is mostly screwed in looks about right. I'm about to the point of removing the cover again and seeing if the "rack" and it's bearing are in good shape.

Comment

The actuator shaft, has got two position, spread around 90° apart;
        remove the arm, twist the shaft, either clock or anticlockwise (taking note of the current position) and slot the arm back in.
        Might help.
        Last edited by Lorenzo; 07-31-2016, 09:19 AM.
        GS1000G '81

Comment

I am really intrigued by the title of the thread.

Is it a typo or a REALLY unique bike?

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you Lonenzo. I'll give it a try

Comment

Can you also verify that the cable pulls smoothly when not connected to the actuator arm?
              Might be as simple as a failed cheap cable.
              1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I already confirmed the cable is smooth. First thing I did was to pull the clevis pin and feel the cable while my son held onto the disconnected end with various amounts of force against my pull. Now I had a CB1000 with the wrong perch on it once and it was very hard to pull. I put a stock OEM clutch perch and choke arm and it was instantly acceptable. I have no way of knowing if this is the correct lever perch for this bike. But since you mentioned it I'll go take a closer look and try to compare with pictures etc on the internet.

Comment

That's what I was thinking too about the perch - might be different with a greater pull than a stock one.

Maybe compare / try the one off your 750 to see it makes a difference.
                  Last edited by hillsy; 07-31-2016, 07:55 PM.
                  Current:
                  Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                  VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)

Comment

thanks hillsy but I only own one Suzuki now. 2 Harleys, a KZ1100 and the GS750. I do remember when I got this bike there was a lot of free play in the clutch lever. Perhaps the PO did that to cut down on the necessary throw. I can get a used perch on eBay pretty cheap but before I do that I want to explore a little more. First thing tomorrow I have to remove the tank for other stuff and I was thinking I'll disconnect the cable at the lever and pull it out of it's current routing and kinda loop it straight into the actuator arm just to make sure I don't have it routed wrong. It did come with after market bars and could be that I followed what the PO had done with routing which may have been wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      I am really intrigued by the title of the thread.

Is it a typo or a REALLY unique bike?

I agree with Steve; what bike are you really referring to as the one in your title (850E) was never made
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by jdvorchak View Post
                        thanks hillsy but I only own one Suzuki now. 2 Harleys, a KZ1100 and the GS750. I do remember when I got this bike there was a lot of free play in the clutch lever. Perhaps the PO did that to cut down on the necessary throw. I can get a used perch on eBay pretty cheap but before I do that I want to explore a little more. First thing tomorrow I have to remove the tank for other stuff and I was thinking I'll disconnect the cable at the lever and pull it out of it's current routing and kinda loop it straight into the actuator arm just to make sure I don't have it routed wrong. It did come with after market bars and could be that I followed what the PO had done with routing which may have been wrong.
                        Ahh, yeah right - I saw the 850's in your sig and thought we were talking about one of them.....

Yep - get the cable as straight as you can. Some cables bind up quite easily with only minor bends, others not so much.
                        Current:

Past:

Comment

Just looking at the pics in your other thread - you might want to get a clutch cable with a bend at the perch end so you can run it down beside the headlight and past the near side of the neck. Also the actuator arm looks to be a bit far in and could do with being a notch or two further out.
                          Current:

Past:

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                            I agree with Steve; what bike are you really referring to as the one in your title (850E) was never made
                            I am so sorry and I don't know how to correct the title. Yes it is a 81 GS750E NOT an 850.

Comment

Ok mark this one Solved. The cable routing was the culprit. After about the 3rd route I got it as smooth and easy as it's going to be.

First thing I did was remove the fuel tank which exposed the entire cable route. I checked the FSM and my cable did not pass through the frame like the diagram. So I took it loose at the lever and pulled the entire cable out to the left side of the bike. That gave me a big arc and I could feel that the cable was smoother and much easier. So then I referred to the manual and that didn't really work as I have aftermarket bars. I think these are Emgo "Super Bike" bars. I ended up, on about the 3rd or 4th route coming up with a route that allowed the cable to have big wide arcs.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                              X