GS650G crankshaft oil seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650G crankshaft oil seal

My GS650G has developed a leak at the seal on the crankshaft behind the pickups. This is a 3 inch diameter seal which appears to be pressed in. The FSM offers scant information on this seal, in the assembly process it just shows the seal appearing on the engine after the halves are joined. I'd like to know if anyone has pulled and replaced a seal like this, what tool they used to extract it and if any special procedure is needed.

on a positive note I found the timing was late and after adjusting it the bike runs better.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

I replaced one of those when I had my 750E and looks like I'll have to replace it soon on my 850GL too.

This is one of the easier seals to replace. Once all of the ignition stuff is unbolted and out of the way, drill a small hole or two near the outside of the seal, thread in a wood or drywall screw, and pull. On my 750, there was plenty of solid aluminum behind the seal so I just turned the screw until the seal popped out.

There may be case sealant around the old seal. At least one engine-building expert here said that applying new sealant is not really necessary. Just grease up the new one and drive it in. I tried rigging up a seal pusher thing but was never able to get it to drive the seal in straight. Instead I resorted to tapping it in gently and evenly with a small light hammer. It did not leak.

It can help to put a slight chamfer on edge of the hole where the seal slides in, if there isn't one already. Totally optional, it will just keep the outer rubber coating of the seal from tearing as the seal is pressed in. (Just make sure you get all of the aluminum chips out, of course.)
    Last edited by eil; 08-08-2016, 12:37 PM.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

They are all of 10 dollars so I'm going to get one for my 1000g and hang it on the wall for that day.

Comment

They are all of 10 dollars so I'm going to get one for my 1000g and hang it on the wall for that day.

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
          I replaced one of those when I had my 750E and looks like I'll have to replace it soon on my 850GL too.

It can help to put a slight chamfer on edge of the hole where the seal slides in, if there isn't one already. Totally optional, it will just keep the outer rubber coating of the seal from tearing as the seal is pressed in. (Just make sure you get all of the aluminum chips out, of course.)
          That is a terrific idea! I ruined 2 seals before figuring that out!
          1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

Be careful, some of the shop manuals, even the Suzuki manual show the seal installed inside out. Maybe the last guy did it like the picture and that's why it's leaking.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

These are corkscrew packing packing pullers they do a good job of removing seals
              The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
              1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
              past bikes. RF900
              TL1000s
              Hayabusa
              gsx 750f x2
              197cc Francis Barnett
              various British nails

Comment

Working...
              X