No announcement yet.

Gs1100r Engine swap questions, need answers before possible pick up tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs1100r Engine swap questions, need answers before possible pick up tomorrow

I have an 82 gs1100e, as some of you may know. I let a friend borrow it for a weekend, and now the engine is dead. I found a gs1100e from 1/80, is there any problems swapping this directly into my bike? I'm going to pick it up tomorrow if this will work. Any other issues with that era motor? Thanks in advance for all the amazing help you guys always give me.

Clearly I meant GS1100E in the title, but I can't seem to edit it. Fat thumbs.

Comment

Pretty sure both motors are the same. Visually inspect the motor mounts to make sure they look the sam(location) and you should be good to go. Don't scrap the old motor. Rebuild it or sell it. Lot of money there.

Comment

I'm sure someone on here would be interested too

Comment

I'll definitely be keeping it to get alive again.

Comment

Before you condemn it, do a compression check and some basic troubleshooting. Hard to kill these motors....
            I have an '82 motor in my 81, no differences I can see. '83 had an improved crank and rotor, not that big a deal if you aren't racing it
            sigpic
            09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
            1983 GS1100e
            82\83 1100e Frankenbike
            1980 GS1260
            Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
              Before you condemn it, do a compression check and some basic troubleshooting. Hard to kill these motors....
              I have an '82 motor in my 81, no differences I can see. '83 had an improved crank and rotor, not that big a deal if you aren't racing it
              did the 83 850s have any improvements?

Comment

Well, he put about 2 quarts too much oil in it, which made every seal and gasket leak. A LOT. Then I heard a funny noise and realized the excess oil pressure must have somehow Blown the cam chain tensioner off. It was laying on the back of the motor. Then it stalled. I know the timing is off, not sure if these are interference motors or not, but I will need to pull the motor to replace all the gaskets anyway.
                Last edited by Guest; 08-12-2016, 10:53 PM.

Comment

If the cam chain tensioner "came out" while it was running, it is most likely that all the valves hit the pistons. All fixable & not too expensive. I have all the stuff you would need to fix. Let me know if I can help.
                  Ray.

Comment

I'd swap friends.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Tkent2, that is a very sensible option!

Comment

Thanks Ray! Fixing it is going to have to be a longer term project.

Comment

ALL of the 16 valve 1100 & 1150 motors are interchangeable to your bike. A lot of engines parts will mix & match, but NOT all of them!! Feel free to call me at 714,356'784five if I can help, even if you just have questions.
                          Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by jprice90 View Post
                            did the 83 850s have any improvements?
                            COMPLETELY different situation, jprice. The 850 was a 2-valve shafty, the 1100 in the discussion here was a 16-valve chain-drive bike. Except for the fact that they are both motorcycle engines, it's like comparing apples to oranges (their only similarity is that they are both fruit).

But the only 'improvement' on the '83 850 was the black paint.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              COMPLETELY different situation, jprice. The 850 was a 2-valve shafty, the 1100 in the discussion here was a 16-valve chain-drive bike. Except for the fact that they are both motorcycle engines, it's like comparing apples to oranges (their only similarity is that they are both fruit).

But the only 'improvement' on the '83 850 was the black paint.

Hahaha. Well, I knew they were totally different engines, just was curious if they changed anything engine wise from say '80 to '83 for the 850's.

Comment

Working...
                              X