Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Issue Found: Bad Universal In Drive Shaft!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This IS a black one from 1980, correct??

I feel like I can see the wear on the spline, not anywhere near as bad as mine, but it sends a red flag.

Last edited by Guest; 08-22-2016, 07:50 PM.

Comment

That is a black one from '80. That's what I replaced mine with. You're probably fine.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
        That is a black one from '80. That's what I replaced mine with. You're probably fine.

AWESOMMEEEEEE Placing order

Comment

Originally posted by Motojoe2492 View Post
          This IS a black one from 1980, correct??

I feel like I can see the wear on the spline, not anywhere near as bad as mine, but it sends a red flag.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262407749261...&sojTags=bu=bu
          If you are relying on those two pictures, there is absatively, posilutely NO WAY you can determine the amount of wear on the splines. The brake in the picture says '80 or newer, the wheel says no newer than '81. And yes, it appears to be a black spline.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            If you are relying on those two pictures, there is absatively, posilutely NO WAY you can determine the amount of wear on the splines. The brake in the picture says '80 or newer, the wheel says no newer than '81. And yes, it appears to be a black spline.

Alright, you caught me looking at the wear with my gut rather than my eyes; even if only to be on the realistic side of what I'm willing to spend. The deal struck at $36.50 shipped, getting removed tomorrow morning.

Comment

Take another look at your own pictures (the 2nd and 3rd ones, especially) in post #13, you will see what I mentioned in post #4, the wear is not at the end that you can see.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Nice find, I have a feeling you'll be in good shape. Supposedly the black ones just don't wear much on these bikes (there's always the exception of course). I just bought an old used 70-something rear wheel for the spline. It's got some surface rust on it, but there's no discernible wear whatsoever. I paid more than you did, too

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Take another look at your own pictures (the 2nd and 3rd ones, especially) in post #13, you will see what I mentioned in post #4, the wear is not at the end that you can see.

After I got it off I did notice the grove on the output spline that allows the no-wear spot, I assume to gauge the wear against the original teeth thickness.

Good to hear, Joe! I did talk the seller into taking off the spline, so there's where my savings came from!

Comment

Got my new/old spline in the mail today! Greased and installed, back on the road!

I went to visit both landings on Hadley Lake as the sun was setting. The windshield kept the bugs off, if only it looked less like a turd.

I would rather have function over form at this point!

Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2016, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X