Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing valve cover procedure

Hey!

Have tried consulting the workshop manual but didn't find anything specific.
    When I renovated my kawasaki Z500, I was adviced to remove the cam chain tensioner before removing and reassembling the valve cover so as not to damage the spring.

Just want to check before I will remove the valve cover tomorrow, if there is any specific procedure I should take note of that is or isn't in the workshop manual.

Yesterday the valve cover gasket started leaking oil.. quite a lot unfortunately, so a new gasket is indeed required.
    Guess I jinxed myself though.. ordered a full gasket set 2 weeks ago on fleabay. Got it 4 days ago.. maybe the gasket would have made it through the season if only I had been waiting with purchasing the gasket set

Remove seat.
    Remove tank.
    Remove horns (if they are in the way)
    Remove breather cover ("T"-shaped cover on top of valve cover)
    Remove valve cover.

While you have it off, be sure to check your valve clearances and change the half-moons at the ends of the cams.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You might want to change those O-rings on the center bolts too... It can save you taking it off again later to replace them. Don't ask how I know... :-(
      1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Thanks Steve!

Exactly what I am planning to do!
        New half-moons ordered anyway and will be swapped during winter renovation.
        I expect that PO's havn't done any proper maintenance for a VERY long time!

I am amazed that the valve cover gasket didn't start leaking much earlier.
        When I went to see if I couldn't just give the cover bolts a bit more tension to see if that could stop the leak, it felt as if the outer bolts were torqued by hand without any tool at all.
        However, some extra torque didn't help, the gasket has hardened over the years unfortunately, so was down to either buy some silicone and put a temporary plug where its leaking oil, or swap the gasket. Better do a proper job directly, doesn't take much time.

Thank you anyway Steve!

Comment

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
          You might want to change those O-rings on the center bolts too... It can save you taking it off again later to replace them. Don't ask how I know... :-(
          What "o-rings on the center bolts"?

If you are thinking about the ones on your 1100E, they don't apply to an 850.

If there is something that I have been missing all these years, please let me know what it is.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            What "o-rings on the center bolts"?

If you are thinking about the ones on your 1100E, they don't apply to an 850.

If there is something that I have been missing all these years, please let me know what it is.

Yes, those are the ones. lol!
            1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

I will actually change all top end gaskets and o-rings, from the cylinder base and up, during the winter renovation.
              However, tomorrow, will be only bare minimum needed, as I have planned to go for a long trip on sunday.

I have a long list of things I will fix and replace during the winter.. including some paint job

Comment

Sounds like your plans are similar to mine this winter! My project history has me worried about how far I will get, unfortunately. I feel like this might be my easiest planned so far. Here can I see pictures of yours?

Comment

Working...
                X