79 GS750 Clutch release pin oil seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS750 Clutch release pin oil seal

Got an oil leak coming out of my crank case... Suspect the clutch pin as shown in the picture. I cleaned up the engine a bit.
    Does anyone know if you can seal this up from the outside with actually not having to open the entire crank case!

There is an oil seal behind there (PN 09283-08001), just wondering if anyone has had leaks from there?
    Also I have about 1/4" play in the pin rod, is this normal?

IMG_7622.jpg

IMG_7636.jpg

The picture should be rotate 90 degrees clockwise

So took the sprocket off and this is what I found, appears the chain somehow rubbed this out a bit and I strongly suspect this is where the crank case leak is coming from.
    Chain must have been too loose
    Wondering if there is any way to seal this from the outside. Maybe use some RTV gasket material? I know I know... not the right way, but only care about sealing the leak

Comment

If you can get it totally free of oil then RTV will probably work.
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

I recently changed my sprocket and adjusted the clutch at the helix (?). The rod would move in and out (left and right while sitting on the bike) but I don't remember it having any wiggle in its bore.
        Last edited by hannibal; 09-15-2016, 07:27 PM.
        Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
        2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
        1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Working...
        X