Sprockets, which is the best way to achieve your desired ratio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sprockets, which is the best way to achieve your desired ratio

Hi, I was wondering, which is the best way to achieve final drive ratio? Does it make any difference to go up or down a tooth on the front sprocket or does this put more strain on the motor?

best to go 530 conversion and minimum 16 tooth on the front. The options below show how you can swap a 16 and 17 to get stock and enhanced acceleration.

Call Z-1

Last edited by posplayr; 09-17-2016, 07:01 PM.

Comment

No matter what chain size you use, it's best to not go too tight of a radius with a smaller sprocket. If you have a 17-tooth on the front, you could drop one tooth to a 16 or add three teeth to the back, for about the same ratio, but your chain will appreciate keeping the 17 on the front.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          best to go 530 conversion and minimum 16 tooth on the front. The options below show how you can swap a 16 and 17 to get stock and enhanced acceleration.

Call Z-1

He has a 83 750E so no need for a 530 conversion on a bike that came with 530.Stock on your bike's a 14 front and a 43 rear.A 14 530 front is a little small IMO,I have a 15 front in mine with no problem but I don't think there's room for a 16.

Comment

So it's all about final drive, it doesn't matter which way you get there, the motor doesn't know the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
              He has a 83 750E so no need for a 530 conversion on a bike that came with 530.Stock on your bike's a 14 front and a 43 rear.A 14 530 front is a little small IMO,I have a 15 front in mine with no problem but I don't think there's room for a 16.
              What are you running in the rear? I'm running 15/ 45 which gives me 3.00 final which is pretty good all around but I'm wanting to do a little more open riding and was wanting to get in the 2.80ish range.

Comment

Originally posted by helmutholderbenz View Post
                So it's all about final drive, it doesn't matter which way you get there, the motor doesn't know the difference?

Call Z1 they will set you up.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Comment

That's correct. The general rule is to run the biggest front sprocket that fits (to reduce stress on the chain, as mentioned) and then use whatever rear you need to get the ratio of your choice.

What are you running in the rear? I'm running 15/ 45 which gives me 3.00 final which is pretty good all around but I'm wanting to do a little more open riding and was wanting to get in the 2.80ish range.
                  It is usually recommended to avoid even drive ratios so that the same spot on the chain is not hitting the same spot on the sprocket on a regular basis. That is why you typically see them being 1 or 2 teeth off an even number.

Mark
                  1982 GS1100E
                  1998 ZX-6R
                  2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

IIRC I'm running 15 F and 40 R to get the rev's down at speed.Still pulls just fine and will start from a standstill in second if I want to abuse the clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                      It is usually recommended to avoid even drive ratios so that the same spot on the chain is not hitting the same spot on the sprocket on a regular basis. That is why you typically see them being 1 or 2 teeth off an even number.
                      That would not really affect anything because the chain typically has over 100 links and will not be a multiple of the tooth count on either sprocket.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        That would not really affect anything because the chain typically has over 100 links and will not be a multiple of the tooth count on either sprocket.

I would say the same thing, Steve, but I have mechanical design textbooks that say to not use even ratios. It's a much worse problem with gear sets, but chain drives also get the recommendation.

Mark
                        1982 GS1100E
                        1998 ZX-6R
                        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out how you get 1 or 2 teeth from an even number?

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                            I'm still trying to figure out how you get 1 or 2 teeth from an even number?
                            Instead of a 15/45 ratio (3.00), use a 15/46 (3.07) or a 15/47 (3.13).

OK, so 3 isn't really an "even" number, it's ODD.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

Instead of a 15/45 ratio (3.00), use a 15/46 (3.07) or a 15/47 (3.13).

OK, so 3 isn't really an "even" number, it's ODD.

For chain wear, the only thing that matters, is the ratio of the either gear to the number of chain links not the ratio of the gears to themselves.

Comment

Working...
                              X