How do you modify A steel headgasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you modify A steel headgasket?

Hi, I took the head and jug off my 83 750e over the weekend to try and see if I could find something that was causing a small knock I was hearing. I thought it was probably a worn wristpin that I had to use when I rebuilt the motor a few months back. I bored the jug to 70mm to accept the 816 wiseco pistons I picked up and went to the wiseco web site to see about getting a oversized gasket to use with my new pistons, all wiseco said was for my motor I was just supposed to use a stock oem gasket. anyway, once I had a piston in hand I noticed that there was a impression of my head gasket on the crown of my piston. The APE website says that with the wiseco kit I do have to use a stock headgasket but it must be modified. I put my head gasket on my jug and can see that it does stick over into the bore some, these gaskets are the metal 3 ply type with the squarish bore hole. How am I supposed to modify this headgasket? I know what I want to do but I dont know how I'm supposed to achieve it. What do I use? am I supposed to sand it, grind it, file it, or use tin snips??? Sure would appricate any feedback Thanks, Helmut

I know that the 81 and 83 head gaskets are different, but I'm not sure how much. Heres a 70mm for an 80-82 750e.

Comment

Cometic can make you a head gasket for any bore size needed. Give them a call: 800-752-9850

They'll know exactly what you'll need.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
      X