GS850 First start up after rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 First start up after rebuild

Good Morning, (its morning here in Australia as I type this post)
    Just getting ready for the first start up my 1982 GS850GZ after a full top end rebuild.
    Had re-bore, honing, 0.5 over pistons and rings, new valves, valve guides, re-seated, timing chain, tensioner, etc, etc, etc. Installed performance coils, rebuilt carbies as per the detailed instructional procedure on this forum, (great procedure by the way thank you), Jet kit, Mac Pod filters, Vance and Hines exhaust, looks fantastic, been a great learning journey.

Excited but anxious about the start up, a question for the forum, is there anything I should specifically look for / do when I push the button for the first time?
    Do I need run it in etc?

Thanks in anticipation
    LJR47

Several others may chime in about break-in procedures. I'm just going to say congratulations, and pictures please!

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

The bike was broken in almost 40 years ago. Break in is important for the crank bearings and such but you just rebuilt the top end. Now what is actually needed is to seat your rings in the new hone. To do this, just ride normally but try and avoid staying at a single rpm. Vary your speeds / rpms for at least 300-400 miles. After that, check compression but don't bother checking compression till the rings are seated in. You will also have to spend some time tuning/sync-ing the carburetors so don't let the bike idle too long at one speed and get warm. If the bike runs well enough to ride as the carbs are set now, perhaps do the ring seating and then fine tune.

Comment

Working...
      X