Valve Clearance for 1978 Gs750E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Clearance for 1978 Gs750E

Hello! I bought a 1978 GS750E from my buddy, and I've been working on these past couple months.

I do not have a service manual, but I think I found the correct one online, and what I've found my valve clearance should be 0.03mm - 0.08mm (0.0012" - 0.0031")

When adjusting do I want them on the tighter side of 0.03mm or the looser 0.08mm? I've read on a forum here that looser is where you want to go, but that doesn't make too much sense in my head. My under standing of usage would ware down the lobes or shims causing the valve clearance to grow in size resulting in a larger shim.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, thanks!

I'll attach an image of my clearances, along with the size of each shim. I did mess up in recording clearance in inches, and shim size in mm, but an easy conversion imo.
    IMG_5429.jpg

The other way. The valves wear into the head, the clearances get tighter

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Oh that makes sense! Thank you. So going off of that I should have my valves lean towards the "looser" side?

Comment

Originally posted by shadley View Post
        Oh that makes sense! Thank you. So going off of that I should have my valves lean towards the "looser" side?
        personally I along with others on here run them at .004" never had a problem with that clearance.
        The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
        1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
        past bikes. RF900
        TL1000s
        Hayabusa
        gsx 750f x2
        197cc Francis Barnett
        various British nails

Comment

Yes, looser is better, but I have to ask ... since you don't have a manual, did you have the cam lobes in the correct positions when you made your measurements? Since you don't have a manual, it's very likely that you did not, as the correct position is not intuitive. The correct position is NOT with the lobe pointing away from the valve.

The correct position will have BOTH valves on one side of the cam pointing away from the valves at an angle, but neither one pushing on a valve. Doing it in any other position will give you false clearance in one of the valves.

While you have those numbers handy, I will invite you to take advantage of the offer in my signature. It will help you figure out what shims you need and will keep track of your clearances and shims in the engine.

Also, be sure to visit our library, where you can download a copy of your manual.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the answer! I did a little bit of research on this website, and what I found was do two valves at a time, with one lobe facing upwards and the other facing back or forward (i forget). I started with cylinder #1 and #2 on the intake side, then did their exhaust, and repeated for cylinder #3 and #4.

Comment

Originally posted by shadley View Post
              Thanks for the answer! I did a little bit of research on this website, and what I found was do two valves at a time, with one lobe facing upwards and the other facing back or forward (i forget). I started with cylinder #1 and #2 on the intake side, then did their exhaust, and repeated for cylinder #3 and #4.
              Here is a link to the Service Manual: http://zeus.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage...anual_1983.pdf
              Everything else you need to know: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
              Everything you will do wrong: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ewbie-Mistakes
              sigpic
              09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
              1983 GS1100e
              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
              1980 GS1260
              Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Bob, that link is for the 16-valve 750s.

I already gave him links to the proper manual and the library in post #5, but I did miss the link to the newbie mistakes thread.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I appreciate all the replies, thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                  X