oil leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil leaking

Hi everyone and happy holidays!!!! I have a 1982 GS650G with 9,000 miles on it. I pulled the value cover to check value clearance. All very tight, can barley get .001 gauge in.Do they tighten up that much in that little miles?? *** main reason for post is that out of air box lower breather hose I am leaking oil while i ride and When i park!! I had value cover breather off and didnt have a new gasket so i just used silcone. The gasket (I believe is a restricter or blocks oil flow out of upper breather) since i did install new gasket and still same condition leaking.Just gave it a tune up,new battery,oil/filter 51/40 semi synth,carb o/haul with all replaceable parts,clean and oiled air filter,stock.Runs like it has 9.000 miles on it.Is this common,any mods for this cond. no other oil leaks, doesn't smoke,does't use much oil.Oil use is what i think would be with condition(breather leak).I remember when all the suzukis of these where new,That because i am 62 years old(have hard time typing that. Thanks for any imput. Jeff This is a GREAT SITE " FORM" .Every ones hard work is appresheated.

You youngsters need to stop worrying about oil useage. Just run the bike, run it HARD for several hundrred miles, it will likely free up the rings that are probably stuck from not being used much.

BUT, ... be sure to do that AFTER adjusting the valve clearance. YES, the clearance changes, and it changes the most/quickest when the engine is new. There is a reason for the first service to be at 600 miles. Not just to get rid of the oil that has all the metal powder in it from breaking in the engine, but to loosen up the valve clearances. At 9000 miles, your engine is due for its FOURTH clearance check. Should be done at 600, 3000, 6000 and 9000 miles. The good news is that with a few (thousand) more miles, the rate of change slows down, so you won't have to change shims as often, but you won't know unless you check them, so it's still good to check at least every 5000 miles or so.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
    X